Search the forum,

Discuss Not enough Heat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wagger

We have recently had oil fired central heating installed.
All radiators have TRVs. We also have a system thermostat inthe hall, set at 25 degrees.
When the heating is first switched on all radiators becomehot or very hot but our rooms and the main thermostat reach only 19/21 degrees.After around 2 hours the radiators furthest from the boiler start to cool andwhile they warm up intermittently the rooms never get above 19/21. All TRVs areset at 5.
The system has been balanced and we are satisfied that thisis not a boiler problem. Our plumber is stumped. Any ideas?

Can`t help I`m afraid, but thanks for registering and welcome to the forum Wagger.

i would disconect the room stat and see if the rooms get hot then if they do its a romstat positioning problem if they dont its either rads pipework or boiler to small

if boiler is still fired and furthest rad is cold not the room stat

Was the system designed (radiator sizes and boiler size) to work at 25 degrees?

Is 5 the maximum on the TRV?

Is the boiler cycling on and off when the temperature is 19 / 21 or is it running continuously?

Thanks. It looks wired in and I don't know how to disconnect it. However, the stat has been replaced and made no difference. We also tried increasing the temp with a hair drier and were able to do so. Of course, it could be a problem with the connection as the stat is wired into a complicated box and I don't know what is happening in there.

Thanks Snowhead. Answers : I don't know for certain but it should be OK . However, I suspect in some rooms the radiator may be too small although not in others where ther is the same problem.
Yes 5 is the max.
Boiler is cycling on and off when at 19/20

Sorry Joni os, I'm not an expert I don't know what you mean by boiler modulating.

We have recently had oil fired central heating installed.
All radiators have TRVs. We also have a system thermostat inthe hall, set at 25 degrees.
When the heating is first switched on all radiators becomehot or very hot but our rooms and the main thermostat reach only 19/21 degrees.After around 2 hours the radiators furthest from the boiler start to cool andwhile they warm up intermittently the rooms never get above 19/21. All TRVs are set at 5.
The system has been balanced and we are satisfied that this is not a boiler problem. Our plumber is stumped. Any ideas?
What was the design temperature of the system? 21C is the norm. If you don't know, ask the system designer/installer.

What is the outside temperature? Most systems are designed assuming it is -1C or -3C.

Which boiler do you have - make and exact model?

How do you know the system has been correctly balanced?

Boiler make, model and size? How many rads? Boiler been commissioned properly?

Modulating. New super efficient boilers can recognise demand and adjust output accordingly. Previously humans brains did a similar but less complicated function by adjusting thermostatic control knob. As the brain of a boiler is zero the propensity to malfunction is now included by design.

There's not many modulating oil boilers in the domestic market. Do the new blue flame ones modulate?

WB have a boiler that adjusts 12- 18 Kw. Literature says interactive. ie. does its own thing.

Will have to have a look at that. Sounds like more sooty boilers when the system goes breasts up.

To the OP. Has the boiler been commissioned and set up correctly? If it's not a modulating one then they run on a range of outputs. Different nozzles and settings will give you different outputs.

Silly question... Do the radiators close to / in the same location as the room stats have TRV's on them?

Oil boilers don't modulate, you can only change the fixed output by changing nozzle sizes. Yes, they exist, but not in any great numbers here in the UK.

Even the blue flame technology is fixed output as far as I'm aware (Firebird have just launched one)

If the rads are at the right temperature and the room is cold, the rads are undersized or all the windows are open.

Actually, reading the post again; they may be sized accordingly, depending on what temperatures the rooms were designed for. Generally, 18 degrees is sufficient for bedrooms, 21 degrees for others. How hot do you find you need it to be to be comfortable?

25 degrees is pretty warm !

Yes .. sounds like its working fine. The OP should invest in some wooly jumpers.
Modulating oil boilers. LoL.

Thanks doitmyself. Answers. Will have to ask installer but when I said we wanted to get it up to 25c he didn't say that was not possible.
Temp outside been 5/8c not very cold.
Worcester Bosch Greenstar Danesmoor Ext 12/18
I saw the installer carry out the work when he came back to have a look at it but, of course, I don't know how well he did it.

Greenstar Danesmoor ext 12/18.
9 rads - 1 v small.
Yes, has been commissioned separately

he didn't say that was not possible

OOh dear. He shot himself in the foot there.
Was that before or after the installation was carried out?

Bigger rad needed probably.

Yes they do but installer said that this was OK providing the TRVs were left o highest setting -5. What do you think?

Yes 18 in beds Ok but 21c not comfortable enough to sit in watching telly. We aimed at 25 to get system running full bore but can not get above 21, sometimes only 19. System seems to switch off when it reaches this level even though room stat hasn't reached 25. I would have expected it to keep belting away!

See my previous posts..

Wagger you state that ALL radiators have TRV's

Were the stat is located there shouldn't be any TRV's the system is fighting itself.

Any well designed system should be able to get a house up to 25, especially with an outside temp of 5-8, for older people that are sedentary during the afternoon we ususally set their stats to 23 for the pm (we use programmable stats so can set multiple heating levels per day)

The system should have been designed for between -1°C and -3.8°C depending upon location.

if all the rads have trvs, then the rad in the hall/room with the room stat will be fighting the trv for starters. Other option, buy some jumpers.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not enough Heat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock