Search the forum,

Discuss Not a very nice 15mm bend in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Attached is a photo of a bend I have done on a piece of 15mm pipe, not very good. I have used the same bender in the past with no problems. I have not stuttered when bending it a nice smooth pull of the bender. Done 3 now all the same.
Bender and former are fine. I know a workman always blames his tools. Is it me, the bender or the pipe?

Attachments

• bend.jpg
    bend.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 15
If you are sure the bender is OK (clean guide, free-running roller), quite likely the pipe. You could give it another try on a piece of Wednesbury copper pipe. E.g. Screwfix 42302. I've always found it good quality and bends well. Some of the cheaper pipe tends to have thinner walls and / or be a harder temper.

You could also try annealing the pipe. Heat to red heat in the bend area, then allow to cool or quench in water. Not really practical if you are doing a lot, but possibly worth it for a few bends if you've already bought the pipe. Make sure it is not annealed anywhere a compression fitting is going, as in soft condition it may not support the olive properly.

Is actually Toolstation pipe, which is Wednesbury according to them. Came across a piece of old 15mm put a 90 deg bend into it no problem. Tried what has been suggested on here and other forums as to tightening the bolts up. Seemed to work now all bends ok. Not sure how that
fixed it though as the bolt was done up I would have thought sufficient but nipped it up a smidge and all seems good. Taken nearly a whole 2m length to get a pice 900mm with a 90 deg on it.

Last edited:
Just had one today it’s the copper cut 2” back and bended fine

Could be the pipe. However, I usually view rippling as a sign I need to clean and lubricate the guide and former on my bender. Beeswax polish seems to last longest, but anything should work.

Reply to Not a very nice 15mm bend in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock