Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss "no call out charge" at what point u start charging? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_

Hi all, just wondering at what point do we start charging when we advertise no call out charge, say for boiler break down. Or it is down to our discretion and the nature of the problem? Slap me if this has been asked before. Thx in advance.

for a boiler breakdown i would start to charge the minute i get there as half the job is deciding what is wrong .For other work i tend to either guestimate(taps changing toilet over flowing etc ) by phone ,larger work go see and give a price

Am I right in thinking that in the past, people charged just to turn up? Now a day we can't do that because of competition, so we advertise no call out meaning that we r not charging to turn up but will start charging if we start looking at the problem, again assuming for boiler breakdown? Thx again.

A callout charge is a charge that is levied for being called out, usually out of hours and is separate from an hourly rate. An hourly rate is charged from the moment that you arrive.
For example;
Callout charge is £50
Hourly rate is £30
Work takes 2 hours; £30x2=£60
Plus callout charge; £50
TOTAL to be invoiced= £110

I have a minimum charge of 1 hours labour, so whether I am there 5 mins or 55mins it will be the same price.

So if you advertise 'no call-out charge', and you do free estimates, does that mean you will turn out, diagnose the problem, and give a price for fixing it, without making a charge?

In that case I will charge a diagnostic fee because I have spent my time diagnosing the fault. I don't give free estimates for breakdowns. I can tell people an hourly rate or charge a diagnostic fee and give a price.

I will give them a quote for fixing it if they tell me the problem.

I will not go and diagnose a fault for free, no one should. You have to use your skill and knowledge to know what the problem is, why tell someone what part is needed as they can then phone around and see who will fit it for the cheapest price or worse of all do it themself.

I actually had someone call me up and asked for a quote to repair a boiler, I said how can I quote for something when I dont know what is wrong. He could not grasp that I would charge him to diagnose the problem and got very angry very quick so I told him to do one.

I charge a cup of tea to start the van, then my hourly rate = bacon butty

Just trying to clarify the terms and conditions as raised by John's question (good question John)

If I saw: "no call out fee" in an ad, I'd assume the cost was recovered by a higher hourly rate, but then if the boiler is uneconomical to repair, there's no possibility for that.

Seems like one of those matters that needs clear terms and conditions to be available to the customer somewhere, particularly if the usual day-time practice is not to charge for estimates.

Sounds like it could be more trouble than it's worth to me.

BG sell HomeCare by stressing that they have a 24 hour help-line, but they won't come out unless you have water pouring through the ceiling, or some similar absolute emergency.

Say you go out on a free call out job. When u turn up at the customer's door steps and say, hey I am here now and I won't charge u for starting my van, but if u want me to go any further I will start charging u, (say) £45 first hour, the clock start now if u agree. Don't know if this going to win me any business. Obviously if I start looking at the problem and not charging I will loose out, but then again if I charging and not able to help them (i.e the boiler is beyond repair) they will feel they r being ripped off. Where is the balance?

Callout charges

People we really know (customers 4 years) - NONE
People who think they know us (freinds, neigbours of above - NONE usually
People we have never heard of a reasonable charge if its local 10 miles non urgent £40
As Above urgent call very soon £50 +
Oldies top one above
People we dont like sound horrid on phone and have never heard of - check they have a card - lots

If we smell a hint of ripoff, or mr clever then money up front - cash under £100 no cheques
cards or promises - (will even roll them around to C/P in truck & BACK !) - done that b4

CENTRALHEATKING - and invoices/printed bills and recipets for all

happy days - wasnt opening olympics good ? - up till 1am back out at 5 yawn

Say you go out on a free call out job. When u turn up at the customer's door steps and say, hey I am here now and I won't charge u for starting my van, but if u want me to go any further I will start charging u, (say) £45 first hour, the clock start now if u agree. Don't know if this going to win me any business. Obviously if I start looking at the problem and not charging I will loose out, but then again if I charging and not able to help them (i.e the boiler is beyond repair) they will feel they r being ripped off. Where is the balance?

How about charging a £50 call-out and assessment fee as system3, but refunding half of it if you get the job based on an out-of-hours charge of £40 p.h.

No work, no refund and £50 payable. One hour = £65 ... Two hours £105, and so on.

Call out charge or not to call out charge, that is the question.

If you get a call that a boiler is not working then that (IMO) is chargeable, not a callout charge but your working from the second you get there. That is your minimum charge + per hour after that. If you need a part and haven't got it and it needs to be ordered then thats to go on the original bill,

Eg. 2 x hours for diagnosis (1st hour £45 then £30) , + part + 2 x hours fitting the new part. 1st hour more expensive because it incl travel time and diesel.

I don't like the term 'call out charge' change that to anti social charge. So, you get called out at 8.30pm then charge £60 for first hour then £55 (or whatever) still no call out charge!

Free estimate, thats good UNLESS the reason is for an insurance quote, you then know your not going to get the job, your being used I then charge £25 for this (time, postage etc) this is refundable on me getting the job.

I try and look at the job before I quote, its chargeable as soon as I get a tool from the van (Minimum charge).

The term call out charge reeks of 'rip off plumber' too most people. Most people understand minimum charge but say there is a call out charge between normal working hours its a different story.

Work on the basis of 3 hrs labour from diagnose and fix a boiler breakdown - £40 first hour, £35 subsequent hours, total £110. Is it feasible to advertise say:

£110 labour to fix any boiler, guaranteed! No fix no fee, excluding parts.

Realistically, I think 3 hrs should be enough to fix a boiler problem, if you think going to take longer then let customer know and walk away. At the end of the day people like to know how much, at the same time we shouldn't be charging if it's not fixed.

Anything that is likely to involve removing my tools from the van is min two hours which includes travel and at least 1hr on the job. Estimates to install a new product / system is free but with only a limited description on the estimate to avoid telling people how to do it. I have worked out that in a five day week, i can spend a minimum of 1 day sat in the van travelling to jobs. If you spend this time travelling around for no pay then you will not be in business long. Unfortunatley people have got a downer on the term 'callout'. It makes me smile when generally when people ask as a first question about the callout charge but when i tell them as my first line, they say that that is ok.

Last edited:
I like the way they sell their services by only charging for 15 minute's at a time after the first hour - sounds really good until you think of it as £200 + £50 + £50 +50 + £50 ............£400 for two hours work!!!

Respect to them for being honest :-/ and up front about their charges - not cheap but customers will buy it because of the name. For small start out like me I can't compare or compete. Personally, I will be happy with getting say 2 of the £110 breakdowns a day, plus any other work in between. Obviously jobs within reasonable distance. Some may say say they will not even take their tools out for x amount but we have to appreciate that u win some and u loose some. I could potentially get a 5 mins job for £110, or it could be a 3 hrs job for that price. People need to know what they r paying, and if you r not up to the job u and can't fix the problem then u shouldn't be charging. What is the worst can happen, the job can take more than 3 hours, let the customer know and let them know what will involve and costs, if customer not having it, walk away. What I've noticed lately is there are so many local firms start coming into the market with fleets of vans and engineers, how long they can survive i can't tell. For small ones like us to compete I think we need to be creative with our pricing. That's my opinion of course.

The fastest response time in LONDON. Wouldn't be very fast in getting to a call out if I called them up here! LOL

happy days - wasnt opening olympics good ? - up till 1am back out at 5 yawn[/QUOTE said:
The olympics opening made me proud being British!!! The had the queen, bond, and bean but no del boy!! How could they? Del boy is the icon of this country :) they show him in every Spanish resort at one stage for gods sake! Should've got him flogging Peckham's spring to the audience. :)

The olympics opening made me proud being British!!! The had the queen, bond, and bean but no del boy!! How could they? Del boy is the icon of this country :) they show him in every Spanish resort at one stage for gods sake! Should've got him flogging Peckham's spring to the audience. :)

Calm down trigger:boxing_smiley:

when the customer asks re call out charges i say fixed fee for a guaranteed repair + parts simple .sometimes i can mark up the parts a little sometimes not.
if the boiler is unfixable i quote for a new boiler charge half the std fee issue an invoice.
quote for the cost of a new boiler .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to "no call out charge" at what point u start charging? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock