Discuss New radiator in garage conversion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

borisblank

Hi,

Newbie non-plumber after advice, so please be gentle.

I've recently had my single garage converted and the central heating extended to a new radiator. The conversion is fully insulated, compliant to building regs, and heat retention seems to be about on par with the house, if not a touch better. However, the temperature in the room is always a fair bit colder than in the house, e.g. 15 degrees in the room vs 20 in the house.

The setup:

- Radiator is 7000 BTU or thereabouts, with a thermostatic valve. [EDIT: it looks like it's closer to 5000 BTU/h] For testing I've removed the thermostatic head, so we can rule that out.
- The flow return have been routed in 10mm microbore teed from the 10mm tails in the kitchen. There is apparently 15mm in the wall (stud wall, so could be opened up) and the runs before the tees are reasonably short. Distance the new pipework covers is maybe 3-4 meters, with several right angles in the run. The pipes run through a shared wall and do not go outside.
- There is no door through from the house, so the room is completely isolated and won't get residual heat from the main part of the system.
- The house radiators are all balanced, with flow/return temperature differences at the boiler spec of 11 degrees. The new radiator has both valves wide open at the moment. Temperature differences there seem to be fairly chaotic, measuring anywhere between 8 and 20 degrees.
- The pump has been turned up to full to try and force more water through the new pipework. It's annoyingly noisy now if I'm honest.

The temperature of the conversion lags the house by some margin. It seems to catch up if the system indoors stays on for longer before the thermostat kicks in and this has the effect of raising the temperature in the conversion when it's colder outside. For instance, when it's 10 degrees outside and 20 degrees in the house, it's 15 degrees in the conversion. When it's 8 degrees outside it's 16 degrees in the conversion.

If the thermostat is wound right up, the new radiator seems to get hot at pretty much the same rate as those in the house and gets just as hot. It feels to me like there could be a delay when the system is pushing out moderately warm water which reduces as it gets up to temperature. The main system only comes on for about 4 minutes per hour when it's 10 degrees outside and the radiators then only get warm and will cool more-or-less to ambient between cycles.

We've discussed with the plumber who originally did the work and he's suggested a couple of approaches.

1. Replace the 10mm run to the conversion with 15mm and take it all the way back to the 15mm flow/return in the kitchen. This ought to double the amount of water and heat to the new rad and help boost the response, even when the flow temps are quite low. Since the conversion is now finished and some of the pipework is sealed behind a wall, another option to avoid too much disruption was to upgrade to 15mm except where passing through the wall and still tee off at the 10mm kitchen tails. It seems to me that leaving any of the 10mm is going to restrict flow, regardless of length.

2. Route from a bedroom upstairs, running 15mm from what is hopefully a 25mm flow/return. This would be under the floor as a wall run would be too disruptive. With this approach joists would have to be notched to run the pipe around and the run would have to pass through the loft space of the garage conversion.

The second seems more likely to be a guaranteed solution, albeit with plenty of scope for unexpected problems. Is the idea of replacing most of the 10mm for the first option worth doing as a sanity to check, replacing the lot if it gives a moderate improvement?

..or is there another answer?

Cheers,
Boris the B

Last edited by a moderator:
Number two.
connecting into 10mm to run another radiator never works , as it looses it's velocity and will take the least form of restriction. A radiator that size should be connected into the 22mm heating pipework.

Running back (in 15mm) to the 15mm pipes might work fine, but that's if the 15mm you would join to hasn't been overloaded & suppling more than one rad already.
Your plumber seems to have assumed a lot. Been better with a heating guy.

How big is your new rad exactly? We can then give you the correct btu output roughly!
I always find garage conversions a job to heat, even with modern insulation!!!

How big is your new rad exactly? We can then give you the correct btu output roughly!
I always find garage conversions a job to heat, even with modern insulation!!!

600x800mm from memory (I'm not at home). The plumber quoted it as 7000 BTU. He may be over-egging as it looks like the Kudox ones they sell on Screwfix and they top out at 4883. Maybe it was 700x900 with 6163 BTU out and he's rounding up. :) Room size is about 2.5 x 7.8 x 2.4 m and wants a 3888 BTU rad according to B&Q's calculator.

I would expect your room is a single story, probably flat roofed and the insulation isnt as great as you think, the rad is smaller than I'd install as I want to ensure its throwing out enough heat to overcome the heat loss of the conversion. Plus anything in 10mm isnt going to carry the thermal load a 15mm pipe can. so 15mm from 22mm as a min and a bigger rad would be the best bet, 1200 x 600 double convector min without referring to B&Q.

600x800mm from memory (I'm not at home). The plumber quoted it as 7000 BTU. He may be over-egging as it looks like the Kudox ones they sell on Screwfix and they top out at 4883. Maybe it was 700x900 with 6163 BTU out and he's rounding up. :) Room size is about 2.5 x 7.8 x 2.4 m and wants a 3888 BTU rad according to B&Q's calculator.

Screwfix rads go much higher btu than that, 600x800 sounds smallish. Is it a double panel double convector? Or single?

Pipework is not up to the job. But also looking at kudox outputs, with a 600mm high radiator. You will need a minimum of 1000mm DOUBLE to heat that rom.

Screwfix rads go much higher btu than that, 600x800 sounds smallish. Is it a double panel double convector? Or single?

Double panel, double convector, definitely 600x800. I'd be pretty certain it's the Kudox T22 with 4883 BTU output.

Lots of input coming in, so I better fully describe the room. Accurate measurements this time, with no guesstimates:

Width 2.45m, length 5.1m, height 2.3m.
One double glazed window, 1.2x1.1m.
2 standard-size doors to outside.
50mm Celotex to walls and ceiling + plasterboarded.
Half of one of the long walls is shared with the house, the remainder of the sides and the back are single skin. The front has a half-height, double-skin wall below the window which is also insulated with 50mm Celotex in the cavity.
Pitched roof.
300mm Rockwool insulation in the loft, with 200mm between the joists and 100mm across.

So at this point is everyone going to tell me to abandon hope and accept my chilly fate?

Running back (in 15mm) to the 15mm pipes might work fine, but that's if the 15mm you would join to hasn't been overloaded & suppling more than one rad already.
Your plumber seems to have assumed a lot. Been better with a heating guy.

To be fair, he is a Gas Safe engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New radiator in garage conversion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock