Search the forum,

Discuss New plumbing in extensive residential renovation project in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mia

I would like to ask for an advice on how to go about the water flow and water pressure in a full plumbing refit of a residential home.

currently the house is connected via private water connection, which serves several houses and feeds from main road water company mains.

the pipe coming into the house is fairly small diameter lead pipe, which I think is unlikely to have the required/ideal flow and pressure for a new plumbing system - 2 storey underfloor heating, family bathroom (with bath and wetroom), cloakroom, kitchen with dishwasher and washing machine, outside garden water tap. The plan is to install a modern combi boiler in the kitchen to provide water for 2 storey underfloor heating and all hot water requirements In bathroom, cloakroom and kitchen. The house isn't large, floor space area is in the range of 80-90m2.
I have made this assumption based on the fact that prior plumbing wasn't able to cope with say somebody washing dishes and a person in the shower (water pressure dropped and with that changed water temperature in the shower - being either very hot or very cold). Similarly to this, running an outside water tap made it near impossible wash dishes at the same time, or running a washing machine and taking a shower was a problem.

Main Contractor's plumber is going to install the plumbing system and I am concerned that the water flow and water pressure coming into the property isn't taken into consideration.
to me this should be the first thing to check and I would expect the plumber to suggest we upgrade our water connection (larger diameter pipe, our own private connection directly from the mains as opposed to it being a shared water connection between several houses), and submit an application with the utility company.

are my thoughts correct? Or am I missing something here perhaps?

New main too. What size combi have they suggested? I don't like letting builders loose on pipework. Inspect work at regular intervals and check plumbers qualifications before he stars. It might benefit you to post photos up on here as work progresses . We could only comment on what we see but might help you avoid and issues? Remember insulate insulate insulate and controls.

I think the plan was for Worcester greenstar 38cdi combi.

It has been quiet since the question on the water main, pressure, etc got asked.

Contractor a bit uneasy with asking for certification on subcontractors, it took a couple of weeks to get an electricians credentials (reg. number and name of company). Interestingly, when I called the electricians registration scheme, they confirmed the electrician's company has been a member from the day before.

I am happy to apply for a new water connection to upgrade the old lead pipe, but not sure how to go about the issue of timing.

plumber is starting work in the coming days and renovation project will be complete before I get it all sorted with utility company (they quote 8-10 weeks from application stage to connection).

Is is it ok, for the plumber to carry out the work, and allow for a new connection pipe come into the house, so we can get somebody else to deal with at a later stage and do a switch over to a new water main?
what do I need to watch out for/which questions to ask?

we cannot wait with the plumbing works, as we need to move back into the house as soon as works are completed.
I find it very odd that this hasn't been brought to our attention when the project started last year. In fact this was never discussed and I only found out about it when talking to the utility company, asking about water pressure and new plumbing install.

Ring the water board. They may be helpful regarding testing and offer you some options. As it id lead they have to be a bit helpful and may give you a free new pipe to your boundary but you may have to pay to get it across your land.

use a watersafe registered plumber to save on involving water board inspections.

if your plumber has suggested a system without testing your incoming water supply id be worried they either dont know or care enough about the work. Is all the gas being renewed?

Defo it's your money you will be living with it for however long your in house , builder simply starts a new project. It's your money you decide how it's spent. Do keep a good communication and payment scheme with plumber. Don't rip him off but don't let him rip u.

Builders get shirty and love to blame u for delays, a programme and a written copy of pre start are awesome ammo when the over indulged labourer starts flinging the brown claggy stuff

if your plumber has suggested a system without testing your incoming water supply id be worried they either dont know or care enough about the work. Is all the gas being renewed?

Yes, all gas renewed also. It's a
complete renovation of a property, with rewiring, roof work, window&doors replacements, etc.
it's a big job. So far all work carried out was of good standard, with some minor niggles, but nobody is perfect.

The plumber priced his job during tender, so that contractor could price up the job, but without inspecting the system. However I believe that plumber has been to site since, as some plumbing work for done - mainly disconnecting and capping of dangerously sited gas pipework in the property.

unless I am wrong, my understanding is that plumber is assuming the existing water supply is sufficient.

Tried calling plumbing companies approved by utility company, to get another plumber to check the existing provisions and help with application for a new water connection (it wasn't part of the contract so I cannot insist on this being done as part of the works I believe). However all companies are either a) not accepting work, b) earliest appointment is in 4-5weeks time. Or they don't return my call at all. One company I have spoken with was very concerned about the fact that comtractor's plumber isn't doing this work as part of the job at hand (new plumbing for entire property).

i cannot find a plumber who is able to come out and check the water flow and water pressure and lay pipe work for a new connection to be used in the future.

i am still assuming, that providing the internal plumbing is done well,
with prepared plumbing for a switch over to a new connection,
that the water pressure and flow can be addressed due course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New plumbing in extensive residential renovation project in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock