Discuss New fittings onto old pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I've put some new 22mm ballofix valves onto some old pipework.

They tighten up to what would usually be enough, but if I get a spanner on the fitting, I can still rotate the fitting on the old pipe. I'm aware old pipe appears a touch smaller.

I've dressed the olives in V2 paste, but yet can't test for leaks as the water won't be on for a while.

Is this something others have come across?

Hmmm, interesting, guys.

I've added comp couplings to old pipe before and don't seem to remember any issues.

In the meanwhile, I'll get me some imperial olives in that case.

You could try tightening the olive onto the pipe , then removing the nut wrap the olive with ptfe then do up the fitting. Also the plumbers merchants will sell 3/4" olives

You could try tightening the olive onto the pipe , then removing the nut wrap the olive with ptfe then do up the fitting. Also the plumbers merchants will sell 3/4" olives

I've just rang a merchant (who closes about now) and he's talking to me about leadlock, says he doesn't have 3/4 olives. I've dressed the olives in V2, ptfe paste.

Use the PTFE to beef up the olive then put the paste on top. then re-assemble for a tight fit.

You're lucky having a merchant that's open on Sunday! All ours close 11-12 on Saturday.

Last edited:
Use the PTFE to beef up the olive then put the paste on top. then re-assemble for a tight fit.

You're lucky having a merchant that's open on Sunday! All ours close 11-12 on Saturday.

Not that lucky if the merchant doesn't know what 3/4 olives are!

Yeah in the past the ptfe paste has worked a treat and probably will this time too, but just hadn't noticed that with use of a tool (so not easily), the fitting could still rotate on the old pipe.

Safer to get the proper fittings, if it goes wrong you will be to blame for not using the correct olives, I always carry a few on the van they are easily obtainable from most good merchants gut if not try bes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New fittings onto old pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock