Discuss New Build 1st fix - pipes to cloakroom in screed or drop down in walls? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sebpalmer

Hi all,
I'm literally self building a small detached house and doing 95% of the work myself being a competent jack of all trades.
I did have a plumber lined up for first fix (because no-one likes to take on other peoples pipework do they!) but he's let me down and most local plumbers I've spoke to are busy for 4-5weeks :disappointed:

So I will most likely have to do the 1st fix myself, not a problem to do the work just knowing what to do.

My question today is how to get hot and cold water to the toilet & sink on the ground floor whilst complying with building regs. Construction is block and beam floor to be followed by 100mm insulation and 65mm screed with wet UFH.
1st floor is Engineering timber joists - easy to pipe through.

Can I drop the pipes from the ceiling chased into the wall in a conduit? or should I be burying them in the insulation pipe in pipe style. the problem with that being the cold water may become warm which I think is a no-no. What actual regs. are there? pipes must be readily replaceable? hence the conduit?

I may also need a towel rad in this cloakroom, as UFH in a small room doesn't have the required BTU's probably. guess I would have to put that in the insulation prior to UFH being laid, not sure how to turn the pipes up without an inaccessible joint though

any ideas welcome, Thanks!

Run them in the wall and turn them out at point of use. Foil tape either side of the pipe to help locate them later on.

google new build plumbing and select images. Take a look I've just checked and there are enough images to give you an idea. Ignore the American ones though

Get a plumber to lay in screed pipe in pipe is good back to manifolds

either can be used depending on the layout many newbuildds the main comes in to the down stairs cloak and then over to kitchen in others it reversed

i would avoid any pipework in the screed if your having underfloor htg. its easier anyway to drop down behind the dab if the pipeworks 15 or 10mm without any chase or conduit.

if you use silver tape put it behind the pipework and clip, silver/foil tapes fall off brickwork and can not be stuck to plastic.

the require heat output needs to be calculated for your cloakroom, your underfloor wont be under the sanitary so a rad or towel rail would be a good idea.

get a desgin drawing from your underfloor supplier to ensure its correct.

where do you live btw? maybe a plumber on this forum is close to you.

, Thanks a lot guys, I'd prefer to run pipes up & through joists & down walls so I'm glad that is the general consensus.
I'll probably render the wall before plastering rather than dot/dab boards, so will actually chase the pipes in, in conduit, then use metal electric cable capping on top. Easy as internal skin blocks are thermal and so easy to cut into.

The water comes into kitchen where the boiler is sited and so pipework will go up to bathroom anyway and I'll just extend the run to the cloakroom ceiling. Hidden pipework all in hep2o never have used JG.

Do need a rad/towel rail in the 'cloakroom' as its larger that your average downstairs toilet. Would be easy to pipe off from the upstairs rad pipework but it would be on the wrong circuit. Going to have to take those pipes right back to boiler I guess. Bit of an arse as no other downstairs rads .

I'm in Rugby, Warwickshire .
I'll try to post some pics when I attack the plumbing next week, bound to have more questions!
Thanks for your help!

You could message LEO21 on here, as he's based in Coventry. Just a thought.

you could consider doing the drops in 10mm copper to the wash hand basin and toilet and you will have no fittings in the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Build 1st fix - pipes to cloakroom in screed or drop down in walls? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. New to this. I Will Try and explain best I can. Large New build (2.5yrs old) with block and beam flooring. Then Membrane Then celotex...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady...
Replies
Views
Hi there, The issue that I am having is I am building a new house and the plumbers are absolutely hopeless. Being an industrial plumber and...
Replies
Views
O
Hi all, Hope you're well. Anyone any ideas... randomly 2 of our toilets started backing up when flushed (2 on same stack 1st floor and ground...
Replies
Views
OddJobRob
O
I am currently trying to solve a problem in terms of laying pipes in a screed floor. The old copper pipework under the screed is leaking and so I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock