Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss New boiler requirements in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sable

Hey all,

Hoping to get some decent impartial advice :)

My crummy old boiler has died, and I'm looking to replace it. Thinking of going with a Vaillant 24 pro. I've heard they are generally decent boilers? What are the warranty's like on these, as online they seem to only have 1 or 2 years - surely this is pretty short when you consider the cost and importance of it? This is a 2 bed flat with 4 rads and a shower\bath.

Also, what are the rules and regs for a new boiler? I've have 4 or 5 different people round, all saying different things, making it pretty irksome when picking who to choose, so was wondering if you could shed some light on the q's below:

1) Pipe width. I understand all gas pipes to boilers now have to be 22mm. Does this have to be from meter to boiler or are there minimum lengths that need to be addressed. 2 guys have said we will need to lay new pipe as mine is currently 15mm, whereas another guy said it wouldn't be a problem, as there is a length of 22mm out of 15mm at the boiler.

2) Power flush\clean. Is this really necessary? Does it invalidate the warranty if you don't have it carried out on a new boiler as I've had mentioned to me?

3) Magnaclean. Again, is this really necessary? If so, what are the recommended brands?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,

Sable.

Well I am not a vaillant fan,so will not comment on that,as you say a two year cover speaks for it's self,for the price,you can do a lot better

If you do a forum search on gas pipe sizing,you will find all the information you need on this subject and the reasoning behind it

The new boiler requires to be placed on a clean system,this is one of the main items to be covered for it to last its expected life span and run trouble free
If you have an old system,you are very likely to have to have a system clean prior to new boiler being fitted,however system inhibitors became popular in the eighties,which is nearly 30 years now,so if added and maintained since then,the system should be quite clean

Magnaclean,(now there are other similar units on the market),are a good idea and not a great extra expense in the grand scheme of things,if you have a old system ,that requires a good clean out,one is defiantly strongly advised on the system when new boiler fitted
If as said,had inhibitor in and quite clean,not such a must but I would not suggest anyone not to have one

Replacing a boiler and updating the system and controls has a big effect on your future home comfort and reliability also your future home maintenance and future energy bills,don't make false economies during installation,get it done right otherwise you will pay more in the long run

imho

1 ) depends on the man instructions

2 ) yes chemicals need to be added one way or another usually by power flushing as this will improve your system aswell

3 ) Magnaclean , this will always help your systems life span along with reguallry service

good look all the best

p.s where are you located ?

1) As already said, this is dependent on the location of meter to boiler, and how long the pipe run is and does it need to serve any other appliances.The only time I have connected 15mm pipe straight from meter for a combi is when the boiler is directly on the wall behind the meter.

2) Not a manufacturer requirement on some boilers, but I always advise one when fitting a new boiler onto a new system.But then it depends on how your system has been treated in the past.If it has been well looked after,with inhibitor changes, then a mains flush might be sufficient.
Another thing to consider is that not everyone power flushes as they should.
If you dont go for the powerflush then yes I would advise for a magnaclean or spirovent magnabooster.

Also, if you are changing from a vented system to pressurised system, and your setup is also crummy, then this can in itself cause another headcahe, as when the system is pressurised, then leaks can appear.

In respect to the boiler, I love to fit Vaillants, but the standard warranty lets them down.As Puddle said you can get a lot better for the money.

Go for a 28kw instaed of a 24, if you have a shower.

Have a look at the Broag Remeha Avanta.5 yrs parts and 2 yrs labour warranty.

Probably the most important aspect should be were any water pressure/flow readings taken.No point in fitting a boiler that can heat 16lpm and only put 9 or 10 through it.

Hope this helps

Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with the Pro 24
you get a 1yr warranty standard but if you get an approved installer you might be able to get an additional 4 yr on top free. look on the Vaillant web site.

Dont be seduced by long warranties as standard, they dont mean anything if they keep breaking down ...............

I rate the vaillant too, but definately worth considering the Avanta Plus. I've installed quite a few now and the boilers seem to have the Vaillant quality, but with a cheaper price tag

I rate the vaillant too, but definately worth considering the Avanta Plus. I've installed quite a few now and the boilers seem to have the Vaillant quality, but with a cheaper price tag
and you dont need a vaillant approved installer to get the long warranty, remember vaillant installers get a nice cash back payment on each boiler installed:), so they need to cost more in the first place

Some people drive Audi`s as opposed to Rovers....you get what you pay for..

FYI

You dont get cash back..Vaillant have a points system the same as Remeha....

Points make prizes...

mate of mine was getting a payment back for each vailant he installed recently, not points, unless im much mistaken

might be the merchant that is doing it!

I get 3,000 points a boiler about £15.00 for Ecotec plus

2,000 for a pro...

yeh vaillant give points for telling the customer

Your diverter valves sticking,unusual for a reliable vaillant

Your ntc has gone,unusual for a reliable Vaillant

Your rubber hoses connecting to the heat exchanger leaking,unusual for a reliable Vaillant

Your built in time clock is faulty,unusual for a reliable Vaillant

Your pcb on your pro plus has gone,unusual for a reliable Vaillant

But the above is OK coz its a Vaillant

Yeh,you deserve a few points :(

Hopefully the prizes are better value

imho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler requirements in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock