Discuss New Bathroom questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek: Unbeleivable :eek:

Not only a cowboy but a psycho to boot, .......speechless!!

I hope the fact he has threatend to kill you won't have any bearing on your giving him a good report on Rated people.com.

Last edited:
I expect the police will pay him a visit so he'll be aware he's being watched.

I expect it's bluster as he's annoyed that he was rumbled before he managed to fleece you. Keep on with Trading Standards - they may pick up the baton for you to an extent.

If he did good work as he says, rest assured there would have been no major problems and any small ones he would have gone out of his way to ensure they were put right.

I got done by a rogue contractor a few years ago and I'm a bit like a terrier - I don't let go. What he doesn't know is that I have had people watching him for the last 4 years to see what he gets up to. As soon as it looks he has something worthwhile, the bailiffs will be pouncing again.

you've done the right thing by phoning the police but I cant say much than that, I assume you have his business address details for the Police to pay him a visit.

Your not the first person to be ripped off by a cowboy and certainly not the last

Its natural to be scard but in reality he's just angry that he couldn't pull a fast one on you and get out and get paid

Sadly, this has got even worse, but I cannot say about it on here. The Police are now actively involved because of further developments.
Thankyou everyone on here for your advice and support.

redmohican - I am truly sorry to learn of your experiences. From a slightly different perspective, can you please tell me/us (I am happy to have a private message) why you chose this particular contractor and why you specifically rejected any others. Was it cost, or what he told you, or claimed ??? Did you look elsewhere other than the web? Did you check any qualifications - did he claim to have any (to state my position on quals, I am not a believer that the entire world must have a paper ticket in order to be able to work or gain experience - in any sphere). everyone has to learn somewhere. I am just interested in your decision process.

redmohican - I am truly sorry to learn of your experiences. From a slightly different perspective, can you please tell me/us (I am happy to have a private message) why you chose this particular contractor and why you specifically rejected any others. Was it cost, or what he told you, or claimed ??? Did you look elsewhere other than the web? Did you check any qualifications - did he claim to have any (to state my position on quals, I am not a believer that the entire world must have a paper ticket in order to be able to work or gain experience - in any sphere). everyone has to learn somewhere. I am just interested in your decision process.

I can answer all of this on this forum, as I am not naming names in public. The answers to your questions are:

1. I chose this contractor because he was recommended by the reviews of others on ratedpeople.com. In case people do not know how this site works, you list the job you want doing, and the 'professionals' who have been checked out by the site then say that they would like to give you a quote on the job. You are sent 3 contractors. If you do not like their quotes, then you re-list the job for the next 3 quotes etc etc.
The contractor I chose was because of several factors, he had glowing reviews, his past work on his website was excellent, and I spoke to a satisfied customer. Also, he was the only contractor who knew what a 3 way valve was and how to fit it (ok I have now found out he didn't, but art the time etc etc).

2. The price this contractor was charging was what I thought to be the best price for the job. I made enquiries with Trading Standards before I got any quotes and they told me that you should pay approx the same for installation as you do for the items to be fixed. This contractor met the criteria.

3. My bathroom is only 7 feet by 6 feet (the toilet is seperate), so it is really small, and this contractor said the work would be completed in a maximum of 7 days. Others said 3-4 weeks. Onbe said 10-12 weeks!

4. As for qualifications, I hold my hand up and say that I didn't check, although I did check that he was registered with Companies House. Also, a lot of the time, recommendations and word of mouth can be the best qualification, I thought. I now know that to be only partially true.

5. As for Phil asking about my rating for the contractor on ratedpeople.com, when I contacted them, they asked me to send a list of the problems which they posted as my review to ward off others. Evidently it's 3 strikes and you are out on that site.

Hope that answers everything.

Hi redmohican, sorry there have been developments it sounds serious now. :(

I suppose I was making a witty comment about the review but seems insignificant now.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like one of those tradesmen from hell you see on TV. If it was purely lack of experience, anyone who cared about the work they do would have been very embarassed and would have bent over backwards to put things right.

Trouble with some of those websites is that people can get their mates to recommend them. You can't beat word of mouth. About 50% of my work comes from word of mouth only, and a job well done with a satisfied customer is the best advert you can have.

It does affirm my suspicions that those websites are a bit of a gimmick and I for one will definitely not be using them. Reputation is everything in this business.

Regarding the 3 way valve - even the most experienced plumbers are going to come across new things they don't know how to fit, but the only thing that matters is that they find out how to do it correctly and follow the manufacturers instructions.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, I have today started court action against this contractor. If possible, can a Moderator please let me know if it would be helpful to others if I kept this forum up to date with the progress of the case?

Thanks for getting back redmohican, I would very much like to know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Bathroom questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock