Discuss New Bathroom questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

redmohican

Firstly, let me introduce myself, I'm Martin, and great when it comes to general decorating, but when it comes to Electrics and Plumbing, for me that is a job for the professionals.

My problem ....
I am normally very careful when choosing a professional, so when I needed a bathroom refurbishment, I placed the job on ratedpeople.com.
After several quotes, I chose who I thought was best for the job.
The work has been 'completed', and the contractor is returning next Monday (12 April), to finish the parts I am not happy with, but I am having E-mail arguments with him, and wondered if someone could tell me if he has done right, or if I am right to complain to him.

The problems are
1. When he fitted the shower pump and associated pipework, this was placed under the bath, and blocked in by a wooden side panel, tiled. I was told that this was ok, as should I ever need to get to the plumbing or pump, just break the tiles and panel, then replace. The more I think about this, the more I think he has done wrong.

2. The pump was connected to a triple valve, which controls the overhead shower, the handheld shower, and bath spout. However, whilst the pump turns on with the water, the pressure is nothing special to what I had before. I was told I needed a 2 bar pump, and got a Salamander 2.4 bar pump.

3. The bathroom sink had it's pluming replaced, again with all of the pipework being boarded, plastered and tiled in (this I hasten to add was the contractors choice, sating this was best).
But, the water from the mixer tap on the sink is literally a dribble. It is not connected to the pump.
Before the work was carried out, I had strong pressure from the cold tap on the sink, and ok pressure from the hot. Now, to fill the sink, it takes in excess of 5 minutes!
The contractor has said that he cannot do anything about this because I did not have the pump connected to the sink. Should I at least still have the same pressure as I had before the refurbishment?

I am sorry if this is a lot to ask for a first thread, but I have literally used every last penny of my savings to get this work completed, and am worried it is money down the drain (or bathroom overflow!)

Many thanks in advance for any advice anyone can please give.
Martin

Could I be really cheeky redmohican and ask what price he is doing this work for? :confused:

I understand if you don't want to say. :rolleyes:

What terms and condtions do 'rated people' have? I don't suppose you could compain to them? I imagine it will be at your own risk.

Also ring the pump manufacturer and ask about the pump, this could give you more leverage.

Could I be really cheeky redmohican and ask what price he is doing this work for? :confused:

I understand if you don't want to say. :rolleyes:

What terms and condtions do 'rated people' have? I don't suppose you could compain to them? I imagine it will be at your own risk.

Also ring the pump manufacturer and ask about the pump, this could give you more leverage.

No problem, I have nothing to hide.
Firstly, let me give you the description I put on ratedpeople.com .......

Removal of Steel bath and ceramic sink. Installation of new Steel bath and sink, with associated new taps, overflows etc. Also, install a small stud wall at back of bath to install an over bath shower and a 3 way valve mixer system. All taps for bath will be on this wall. An electric pump will also need to be installed for the water pressure. Also, to re-tile and paint woodwork and ceiling in the bathroom. All products required for this work have been purchased. Please note, this is a very small bathroom measuring approx. 7feet by 6feet. No quotes will be accepted if the completed work will cost more than £1500 incl. VAT

So, as you can see, everything was pre-purchased, and was of high spec quality.
The only things I didn't have was materials for the false wall, and any copper piping needed, but I was told this was no problem, as the whole job could be completed foe £1500 incl. VAT.
The reason I stated the £1500 incl. VAT was because I got other quotes of the same from other contractors.
However, I was presented with a bill after the first day (which has yet to be paid by me, for the materials for the stud wall, copper piping, and flexi drainage pipes, as I was told this was now necessary. Ok, the bill for all of this comes to £70, and I would have paid it straight away if everything was perfect and working in the first place.

As for ratedpeople, this is recommended by many newspapers such as The Guardian and Metro, but of course, you are going by other customers feedback for guidance, and ratedpeople.com have no responsibility over the work. I will however let my feelings be known if all does not go well tomorrow.

As you have suggested, I will call Salamander pumps tomorrow for more advice.

Thankyou for helping me.

Last edited by a moderator:
im sure salamander will be saying you will be waving good bye to your Pumps warranty which is bad when its not cheap to have a pump. Good thinking printing off the thread!
Keep us informed as we are all interested in how you get on

im sure salamander will be saying you will be waving good bye to your Pumps warranty which is bad when its not cheap to have a pump. Good thinking printing off the thread!
Keep us informed as we are all interested in how you get on

I have contacted Salamander, and spoke to Phil in Technical. WOW! how helpful was this man. He is sending me the documents that the contractor discarded, and is going to send me an interim E-mail so that I can show the contractor where he has gone wrong.
This is Customer Service at its best. Thankyou Salamander.

All I need now is for the Contractor to turn up - so far no show as at 14.17 on 12 April 2010.

to be honest thats what I would have expected from Salamander, tey are pretty good

You've got to think that if he has sited the pump wrongly, apcked it wrongly with polysyrene then like he has made the hot connection to in the wrong place

Thanks Tom, I was thinking the same.

By the way, for any further post, my name is Martin (cannot find where to edit this!)

No problem Martin

Have you taken photographs of everything, just in case?

I took photo's before the work, during, and after, although some of the in between work could not be photographed as it was boarded up too quick.

I have 116 pics. Think that's enough :)

It is now 18.07 on 12 April 2010, and no word from the contractor, with my calls and texts being ignored - not looking good eh?

I'm now pre-empting myself and have prepared an official letter to send to the contractor at 15.00 tomorrow if I hear nothing, and have been looking into the Small Claims Court should all else fail.

I really wish I had found UK Plumbers Forum before I had the work carried out, and found someone reliable.

It sounds like maybe the plumber was out of his depth?

How long has he been plumbing?

I know its easy to critisise in these situations but he has not done himself any favours regarding not turning up.

He may have decided to cut his losses and walk away.

Have a word with Trading Standards - they will help you with your letter as there are certain terms which you should use.

Unfortunately it sounds like you've been had by a cowboy plumber.

Have a word with Trading Standards - they will help you with your letter as there are certain terms which you should use.

Unfortunately it sounds like you've been had by a cowboy plumber.

Thankyou, I have an appointment with them later today (Tuesday).

UPDATE: 13.36 13 April 2010

This is unbelievable. Please read this and laugh or weep (because I don't know what to do!) ...

The contractor turned up, and I pointed out, in a friendly manner, the long list of problems with the bathroom. After saying that there was nothing he could do, and asking who told me that his work was wrong (I quoted this forum, showing printouts, and also advice from Trading Standards), he then walked to my front door, held out his hand for me to shake, and said ...
" Thankyou Martin, Nice to meet you, goodbye".

And off he walked.
I have contacted Trading Standards again who have given me advice on the letter to send (which I will today by Special Delivery), and I will then, if no reply, take legal action against this company who puts you professionals into a bad light.

sounds like a watch dog rogue traders contact to time

If you gave him time to put it right snd he didnt even bother to show up you were doin the right thing in coming here and Trading Standards

It looks like it will cost you a little more to go down the route of the small claims court if thats what your looking to do but at least you didnt pay out the full whack

Any chance of uuploading some of the photos?

Did you show him what the pump manufacturer said

Ive not alot more to add as WHPES has said it all really, the low pressure at the taps is probably because they are for high pressure installations, it sounds like you supplied the taps so id just take that one on the chin.
If you havent paid the man all the money, will the money youve got left pay for somone else to put the work right?.

Just to let you all have an update.
90 minutes ago, I had a phone call from the contractor telling me that he does good work, does not like a list of his bad work being shown to him, and cannot believe that I discussed it on this professional forum.
Without going into detail, he has threatened to kill me in the street, or when he waits outside my home, and is going to break into my home and smash it up.
I did not get into conversation (the above is the polite way he spoke to me), nor did I get angry with him, but the matter is now with the Police, as to be honest, I am scared.
This contractor said to me when he started, if ever I promise something or say something, "I do it".
I have the Police coming round later, and Trading Standards are being a total godsend to me with help.

I will need to get 3 quotes from Plumbers/ Bathroom Fitters, in case I need to sue, who can rectify this work, so any recommendations, from you, the professionals will be appreciated.

This has honestly been the worst most scary day of my life.

you've done the right thing by phoning the police but I cant say much than that, I assume you have his business address details for the Police to pay him a visit.

Your not the first person to be ripped off by a cowboy and certainly not the last

Its natural to be scard but in reality he's just angry that he couldn't pull a fast one on you and get out and get paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Bathroom questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock