Search the forum,

Discuss Neutrals in room stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo21

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I was always lead to beleive that putting neutrals, in room stats on combis or conventional systems, helped the stat perform better. But today the guy that was helping me reckons it nonsense. After reading the instructions again , I think he might have a point.

I was always lead to beleive that putting neutrals, in room stats on combis or conventional systems, helped the stat perform better. But today the guy that was helping me reckons it nonsense. After reading the instructions again , I think he might have a point.

Might be wrong but always thought neutrals were only needed for indication or really old mechanical stats with coils or bi-metal strips.

Some stats need them others not, the honeywells need them for the little heater in them (increases accuracy from +-2 to +-.5degC) the draytons need them to power the relay that switches out.

Obviously there are plenty of 2 wire stats around now where they are not required at all.

depends on room stats but most of honyewell and draytons do most of them will work but will be about 5dc off (room temp)

Interesting , I have nt fitted a wired stat for years and have one to do in the next few days , does it matter if the neutral from the stat goes into the neutral connection in the boiler or in the actual spur ?

Sorry Leo, not nicking you thread

The purpose of the neutral is to allow an anticipator to help switch on the boiler before the room drops below comfort conditions.

As others have already commented, the neutral/anticipator prevents excessive swings in temperature e.g. too hot, too cold - and maintains the room in a comfort band (17.5-21.5 degrees c).

In digital stats, there is now no need of a neutral.

The purpose of the neutral is to allow an anticipator to help switch on the boiler before the room drops below comfort conditions.

As others have already commented, the neutral/anticipator prevents excessive swings in temperature e.g. too hot, too cold - and maintains the room in a comfort band (17.5-21.5degrees c).

In digital stats, there is now no need of a neutral.

That's what i was led to believe. But in the instructions it says you don't need one, that's how I tread it anyway.

Interesting , I have nt fitted a wired stat for years and have one to do in the next few days , does it matter if the neutral from the stat goes into the neutral connection in the boiler or in the actual spur ?

Sorry Leo, not nicking you thread

doesnt matter as will go back to the spur anyway

Yep thanks shaun , i have seen it done both ways , I didnt really think it mattered

the only case it will matter is if you borrow a neutral from a different circuit will trip a rcbo etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Neutrals in room stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock