Search the forum,

Discuss Need advice on replacing a soldered brass kitchen pipe (first timer - newb) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bcbud726

2013-12-28 22.09.12.jpg

Hello all,

This is my first attempt at doing my own repairs (fixing a leaky drain under the sink - ended up replacing everything).
I had no problems up until the drain extension (see photo). It is 1.5" brass soldered into another pipe (maybe copper).
What is the best way to replace the brass fitting? I guess I have to cut it somewhere, sand off any excess solder and solder on a new pipe?

What is the best way to repair this? Thank you in advance!!

What's the problem with it?

Is this part leaking?

A photo of more of the pipe might be useful.

Whilst you may be able to clean it back & re-solder you have to make sure it's cleaned thoroughly & use the right stuff to do it otherwise you'll have more problems than when you started.

Easiest way would be to buy a plastic 1.5" compression coupler. You can buy them today from b&q.

you need to get something like this
56109.jpg
which will fit over both ends of pipeafter cutting the joint off.

Ok thanks a lot for all the advice! I will post another pic soon of the cracked portion of the pipe. I was looking at Home Depot for supplies and saw compression fittings but they look like they are for 1.9" OD pipe instead of the 1.5" OD and slightly larger receiver which I have now.

To be honest we dont know what fittings are available so would be better to go on a canadian or north american help site

North American equivalent....Carlsberg !

Here's a pic of the corrosion. I am thinking I should probably just call a plumber ($300/first hour and $200/hr after). That's the price for overtime on a Sunday.

Attachments

• 2013-12-29 14.00.07.jpg
    2013-12-29 14.00.07.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 51
So you guys were correct all I needed to do was cut pipe with a pipe cutter and use a compression fitting (Fernco 1.25" X 1.50") to connect them. Hiring a plumber was still a good idea because I got to see how a pro does it and now I am confident I can do it myself next time!
You guys are GREAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need advice on replacing a soldered brass kitchen pipe (first timer - newb) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock