Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss My Spring Operated Pop-up Basin Plug Wont Stay Shut in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I have a Spring Operated Pop-up Basin Plug (not the rod type) It moves up and down freely but it won't stay down so I can only use the washbasin with the water running. It's only about a year old. Can I adjust it in any way myself please?

1705057300192.png

In my experience this is usually caused by the mechanism breaking- unfortunately there are a lot of poor quality versions of this style of waste.

You can replace the brass mechanism.

Unscrew the silver plug, this should come right off and reveal the brass mechanism below.

Unscrew the mechanism , will have flats to remove it with a spanner but sometimes this snaps the brass - in which case the remainder can be moved with a pair of grips/ mole wrench etc.

Take the mechanism to plumbers’ merchant and they’ll sell you the correct replacement. There are a couple of different designs and lengths to choose from.

If access below is easy (eg a vanity unit rather than a pedestal) it might be better to change the whole thing. But with tight access it’s much easier to just replace the brass pop up mechanism.

If it’s only a year old you might consider getting back whoever supplied/fitted it.

I would value this if it was my job as I would know to cross that product off my list. But from your point of view I would replace it at no cost - poor quality materials are embarrassing all round.

Reply to My Spring Operated Pop-up Basin Plug Wont Stay Shut in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock