Search the forum,

Discuss My Spring Operated Pop-up Basin Plug Wont Stay Shut in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I have a Spring Operated Pop-up Basin Plug (not the rod type) It moves up and down freely but it won't stay down so I can only use the washbasin with the water running. It's only about a year old. Can I adjust it in any way myself please?

1705057300192.png

In my experience this is usually caused by the mechanism breaking- unfortunately there are a lot of poor quality versions of this style of waste.

You can replace the brass mechanism.

Unscrew the silver plug, this should come right off and reveal the brass mechanism below.

Unscrew the mechanism , will have flats to remove it with a spanner but sometimes this snaps the brass - in which case the remainder can be moved with a pair of grips/ mole wrench etc.

Take the mechanism to plumbers’ merchant and they’ll sell you the correct replacement. There are a couple of different designs and lengths to choose from.

If access below is easy (eg a vanity unit rather than a pedestal) it might be better to change the whole thing. But with tight access it’s much easier to just replace the brass pop up mechanism.

If it’s only a year old you might consider getting back whoever supplied/fitted it.

I would value this if it was my job as I would know to cross that product off my list. But from your point of view I would replace it at no cost - poor quality materials are embarrassing all round.

Reply to My Spring Operated Pop-up Basin Plug Wont Stay Shut in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock