Search the forum,

Discuss My grant 70 mk 2 heating pressure is constantly increasing in pressure. I have changed the heat exchanger in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My grant 70 mk 2 heating pressure is constantly increasing in pressure. I have changed the heat exchanger as I believe that was the problem. Any ideas

The cost of plate heat exchangers I'd want more than a belief it's at fault.

Checked the filling loops not passing?

Is it rising when the boilers off?

Pressure vessel ok?

Pressure vessel hose not blocked?

What's the pressure when the boiler first fires up?
How fast does the pressure increase?
What's the pressure at it's highest when the boiler is on?
Is the Pressure relief discharging as the boiler is heating up or when the pressure is at it's max?
How fast does the pressure reduce?

Is the Expansion vessel suitably sized for the system and set to the correct precharge?

The E.vessel pre fill (air end) pressure should be 0.75bar with zero pressure at the water end, the filling valve should then be opened to give 1.25bar (cold system) , the pressure should then reach ~ 1.5 to 2 bar when system hot and will return to 1.25 bar when cold.

I'm fairly certain that model of grant should have a cold system pressure of between 0.5 bar to a max of 1 bar.
Expansion vessel pre charge 0.8 though later on in instructions tells you it should be 1 bar !
Remember that because it seemed a bit odd.

Grant used never give a pre charge pressure which was a bit daft as you have no water reserve to make up for tiny leaks etc without constant top ups but nearly always specified 1.0 bar filling, their PRVs are all set to 2.5 bar.
I set up a few neighbors to 0.75/1.25 bar and no problems in exceeding 2ish bar on heat up/

Ambiguous to say the least, it says pre-charged to 1 bar in one place and that the heating system vol is based on a "vessel charge and cold fill pressure of 0.5bar" in another reference.
By having the precharge&fill pressures the same means a much smaller vessel is needed, see my calcs below based on a average (of flow&return) of 65C. for a 50/90 with a 10 litre EV.

Its quite clear that the "temptation" is to have the precharge&fill pressures the same to avoid having to install a external EV especially since the boiler+stored vol of combis alone can be 40 litres, not so much a problem with the non combis with a boiler volume of 20/25 litres.

precharge/fill/final/system volume
0.5/0.5/0.86/106
1.0/1.0/1.48/106
0.5/1.0/1.70/106
0.75/1.25/2.0/106

Allowing final pressure of 2.2bar:
0.5/0.5/2.2/290
1.0/1.0/2.2/205
0.5/1.0/2.2/154
0.75/1.25/126

1635661965783.png

Last edited:

Reply to My grant 70 mk 2 heating pressure is constantly increasing in pressure. I have changed the heat exchanger in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock