Discuss Moving the kitchen feasible: Waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spacky

Hi there,

https://imageshack.com/i/ipgwbkbDj

I've just joined. I'm not a plumber but an enthusiastic DIYer. The extent of my plumbing skills so far has been to install a shower pump and the odd repair. The purpose of creating this thread is not necessarily to find out how to do something myself since this something will probably be best left to a pro, but to find out if my idea is already dead in the water.

I'm purchasing a typical 3 bed semi that has the kitchen (please see link) at the back facing the garden with an open arch entrance to the dining area.

I have this idea of moving the kitchen to the front(ish) of the house as an open plan with the dining table in the bay window. The kitchen cabinets will run along part of the party wall with an island. The sink will be either in the island or where the wall units are depending on which is easier.

It would seem the biggest stumbling block with this idea is the waste pipe. The drain is at the back where the kitchen currently is. I don't think there's any chance of creating a new drain so the question is can I somehow run the new waste pipe to this drain? To make matters more complicated, the floor is concrete.

There are 3 options I can only think of but don't know if they're viable

1. The name that should not be named: Saniflo (there, I said it!).
  2. Chase the concrete floor to run a pipe in the direction of the drain. Although doesn't there need to be a gradual fall where this distance would be too far to be practical to put it in the floor?
  3. Run the pipe along the party wall through the wall facing the garden and somehow create a pipe along this wall to the drain. I don’t know if this is practical either.

I really hope there is an option without digging a new drain at the front of the house because unfortunately it’s not an option as it would just be too expensive. I see photos of these kitchen islands with sinks in the middle of a huge room and always wonder how they do it.

If it helps, I can post a photo of the room. Thanks very much and hope you can help.

It would have to be a sanivite if pumped which requires an 1 1/4" pipe so not much benefit over a gravity drain.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know or can you tell if the Sanivite is my only option? It is the simplest option but everyone is telling me to steer clear of them because they're not worth the trouble.

Bury the pipe under the floor but that's a lot of work and when it eventually blocks up your back to square 1. Or move the external drain with a bit of digging to the right of door and run waste in boxing at low level if it does block you can remove boxing and repair.

Most Sanivites fail to please due to either a bad installation or misuse, remember they are a water pump not a waste disposal unit ie they don`t munch food debris. The minimum fall on the outlet pipe must be 1:100 or 10mm per metre. Go to the saniflo website and take a look at the 10 golden rules page and the sanivite installation guide.
Also remember it can`t be used if there is no power and it will require a service from time to time to remove debris and smells.

Hi there spacky and welcome to the forum, i realise you said the drains at the other end of house but thats what you see, do you know where the main drain is in relation to the house and where iyt connects on to the main sewer, id check to see if slim chance you could catch a drain close to where the proposed sinks goin or get a plumber in to check and let u know then way up options,

Welcome to the forum,

Hi there where is your bathroom front or back? is your house semi or detached more info the better sanis are the very very last choice (sorry rpm) in my opinion..brum

Hi there where is your bathroom front or back? is your house semi or detached more info the better sanis are the very very last choice (sorry rpm) in my opinion..brum

No worries brum, I tell people that myself. Only if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving the kitchen feasible: Waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
I had a potential leak in the island kitchen drain, but it's no longer an issue after using an auger through the clean-out pipe. The water seemed...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock