Search the forum,

Discuss Mid position valve problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Im trying to diagnose a problem y plan system that won't go to mid position but will go onto heating or dhw only, would that indicate a faulty valve or programmer issue? It's a Drayton ma1 mid position valve

With stats calling for heat the valve will go heat only or Dhw only I would say valve u/s as the programmer appears to be working ok as previous comment check with multimeter to confirm

3 Port Valve Operation
The valve itself has three plumbing connections - in, out A and out B.
Regardless of other settings, at least one of the outlets is always open, so it is always possible for water to flow through the valve.
Outlet A is normally connected to the central heating, with B used for hot water.

Electrically, the valve has 5 wires:

• Green/Yellow, Earth - connected to the metal body of the valve.
  • Blue, Neutral - internally connected to the neutral side of the motor.
  • White, Live in 1 - Activates the motor inside the valve to select either AB (both) or A (heating)
  • Grey, Live in 2 - Used with the White wire to select outlet A only (heating)
  • Orange, Live Out - this is used to switch the boiler on when the valve is at position A.
No power
With no power applied, the spring holds the valve in position B, so water only flows to the hot water cylinder.

Power on White only
The motor will move the valve to the mid position AB, so both heating and hot water are selected. Internal switches and other components ensure the motor is held at this mid point.

Power on White and Grey
Here the motor will move to position A (heating only). When it gets there, an internal switch connects white and orange together, and this output is used to activate the boiler.
This results in a noticeable delay when switching on heating only, as the motor has to move the valve from B to A. This takes several seconds.
Hope this helps

3 Port Valve Operation
The valve itself has three plumbing connections - in, out A and out B.
Regardless of other settings, at least one of the outlets is always open, so it is always possible for water to flow through the valve.
Outlet A is normally connected to the central heating, with B used for hot water.

Electrically, the valve has 5 wires:

• Green/Yellow, Earth - connected to the metal body of the valve.
  • Blue, Neutral - internally connected to the neutral side of the motor.
  • White, Live in 1 - Activates the motor inside the valve to select either AB (both) or A (heating)
  • Grey, Live in 2 - Used with the White wire to select outlet A only (heating)
  • Orange, Live Out - this is used to switch the boiler on when the valve is at position A.
No power
With no power applied, the spring holds the valve in position B, so water only flows to the hot water cylinder.

Power on White only
The motor will move the valve to the mid position AB, so both heating and hot water are selected. Internal switches and other components ensure the motor is held at this mid point.

Power on White and Grey
Here the motor will move to position A (heating only). When it gets there, an internal switch connects white and orange together, and this output is used to activate the boiler.
This results in a noticeable delay when switching on heating only, as the motor has to move the valve from B to A. This takes several seconds.
Hope this helps

Great stuff mate

Reply to Mid position valve problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock