Discuss Microbore puzzle, advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnny3star

Hi all,
Just moved in to a new bungalow with 10 rads, most are not getting warm.
In the loft there is a 22mm loop through the boiler and pump, with Y split and 2 motorised valves.
Hot water sub loop is OK, but CH loop route is a bit weird.
There are 2 microbore manifolds, one with 14 pipes coming off, the other with 6 ???
Most flow and return sub pipes to individual rads seem to be coming off the same manifolds !!!
The bungalow is 26 years old, I can’t believe It’s never worked properly for all that time.
Am I missing something ?
Johnny.

It sounds to me as if either the motor in the motorised valve has failed (most likely) or the pump has failed. To find out test the valve, turn the heating on, turn up room stat then slide the lever across. If the water whooshes through and boiler fires you've got your culpit.

Or there is enough sludge in the system to block it. Radiators might need balancing as if there is some sludge it might have upset a few valves.

Obviously there might be other problems but I'd start with the valve and pump.

(Pipes are fine by the way. I think it's a one pipe system instead of a two pipe).

Cheers for your thoughts, I will have another look tomorrow.
Im still confused about the microbore rad pipes (with 10 rads)
I would expect 10 pipes from the flow manifold, one to each rad.
and 10 pipes to the return manifold, (not 14 and 6)
photos attached.

P1100810.JPG

P1100811.JPG

johnny.

The manifold is sealed in the middle . One half is flow the other half return . So on your first manifold 6 flow 6 return

Ah, if they're sealed in the middle, it would all then make perfect sense.
cheers, will check it out tomorrow
johnny

Thank you for putting a picture up of your manifold cos I have just come across one myself. I am just hopeing the one I have seen is the same.

Thank goodness that manifold was split in the middle. I did have a major panic when filling the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Microbore puzzle, advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock