Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss mains water inlet pipe reduced from 22mm to 15mm before stopcock/water meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

layman1

hi, please excuse any ignorance on my part that this question may throw up.

my lead metal mains pipe enters the house and looks a respectable 3/4" outside diameter but within 6 inches it is reduced to 15mm copper to pass though the stopcock. this then passes through the water meter using 15mm connections and is then split off all over the place all in 15mm pipework. from the nearest outlet (1 metre away) i get only 11 litres/min flow rate.

i'm looking to fit an unvented DHW tank and wondered if altering the stopcock and water meter to larger bore versions to take the full 22mm pipe all the way through to the unvented cylinder would be worth the expense? could the relatively short stretch of 15mm pipe through these two restrictions really be the cause of my relatively low flow rate? and could i get away with just connecting 22mm pipe to the outlet from the water meter and hope this would help increase flow rate for the unvented cylinder?

picture to help can be found here [DLMURL]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bGyVuD-FM-Y/VaPAwjl4rNI/AAAAAAAAByE/ce6Z3bxwYDM/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150713_144344.jpg[/DLMURL]

look forward to the ridicule, sarcasm and hopefully the odd enlightening answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Old lead pipe looks larger than you think the inside will only be 1/2" (15mm) need to get rid of old water main, if you are having a unvented cylinder fitted you need to upgrade the water main from external stopcock into the house with 20mm blue poly (minimum) depending what you will be connecting to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to mains water inlet pipe reduced from 22mm to 15mm before stopcock/water meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor...
Replies
Views
A
The bath taps have 22mm inlets currently the cold water mains 15mm is fixed to the tap by a copper adapter 15mm to 22mm. The hot water is 22mm...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
Good morning I installed a Harvey’s water softener recently. Have a semi detached property with 3 showers and a 2 toilets with a mega flow...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock