Search the forum,

Discuss macerator problem (it keeps running) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

voo

Hello. When the toilet is flushed the macerator works properly but it after it has finished churning it doesn't turn off. The macerator stops but there is a noise that sounds as if the electric supply keeps on. I turn the electric supply off for it to stop. Sometimes I try it by temporarily turning the electric switch on and it works normally, but it is has been faulty the last time it was used. Any ideas as to how to fix it please?

You dont say what machine you have it could just be the sound of water running down a long pipe run ?

Hello Muncher it's a saniflow. Someone told me it's probably the float switch sticking. More than likely it needs taking to pieces, yuck.

Hi yes,
Saniflow machines have an electrical oval shaped chamber at the bottom is the rubber membrane that either stretches & deforms like a caulliflower if in contact with items containing white spirit or over time it can go brittle, behind this a bit deeper into the machine is the cherry microswitch and the motor start capacitor.

I often found just giving the machine a kick on the side where the cable goes in at the bottom of the box would stop it or start it depending on the reported fault, it will require removal of the lid and replacement of the membrane and re sealing it with red hermatite or if you have a day to spare silicone sealant.

As a point of interest if you turn off the electric and watch the level of the water in the pan if it rises significantly or you can hear water back filling into the box it may be the non return valve.

You will have to bite the bullet and pull the motor out to check it out though !!!

HiVoo, Had a saniflo today with the same symptoms. Spoke to a brill bloke at saniflo who advised that this was most commonly caused by limescale build up on the membrane that Muncher described. Whilst I already had the unit open and it was easy enough to clean the membrane directly he said it can also be done with either the saniflo descaler at £20 a throw or cheap thin bleach from Tescos! Flush the unit through, then add about 1.5 litres of bleach and flush again so the bleach enters the saniflo. Leave the solution for a couple of hours and then flush, hopefully this will descale the membrane. Either way he advised that you follow this regime every three months to keep the unit descaled. After the apprentice (bless him) cleaned the membrane the unit worked perfectly. Hope this helps.

Hi nice to see my my original advice is still being used by saniflo support & included on instructions.

We were told by HQ not to tell the customers as it would do the engineers out of work !!!

I would add that a bleach that can remove Urine and lime scale is a better bet the Thin bleach will keep the machine and pipe work as clean as driven snow inside once the customer uses it on a regular basis for cleaning.
My avice to a customer would be to use Bleach every time your clean the WC.

Saniflo descaler is only a prussic acid type cleaner and you can buy a similar product from a comercial catering supply company cheeper, central heating descaler, concentrated citric acid solution will do the same anything that will disolve lime scale and wont foam to excess is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks doug.cowan for the useful information. Cheap thin bleach rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to macerator problem (it keeps running) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock