Search the forum,

Discuss LPG to Propane Supply Conversion Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boy1925

I used to have an LPG C/H boiler supplied from a bulk LPG tank about
25 metres from the house. Having dispensed with that boiler (I now have an air-source heat exchanger), I wish to utilise the underground
pipe which is 25mm yellow plastic, to feed propane gas from a smallish
19kg bottle, to my hob, which currently receives its gas from the same bottle through a 15mm copper pipe, the bottle being situated only about 4 metres distant.
How best should I do this?
Can I just connect it all up and expect the pressure to be adequate, or should I be thinking of inserting a smaller bore plastic pipe within the 25mm one so that the pressure drop is less?
Any helpful advice would be gratefully received.

I'd recommend that you get a GSR engineer with an LPG ticket to sort it out for you.

Thanks for the encouragement so far!
Actually, an indication of what should be done and how would be helpful.
Suggesting that I should not tamper with things I do not understand
was not what I hoped for from this forum.
I shall happily concede that the responses so far will undoubtedly have been well intentioned.

Hi boy1925 and welcome to the forum.
We try help with good advice and I think it is a friendly forum.
But you will not get help with DIY gas work, end of.

Actually, an indication of what should be done and how would be helpful.

Do the calculations for pressure drop based on pipe size, length and likely consumption, check the existing pipe is suitable, check the existing pipe is sound.

Using appropriate fittings complete the connection and test.

Suggesting that I should not tamper with things I do not understand
was not what I hoped for from this forum.
I shall happily concede that the responses so far will undoubtedly have been well intentioned.

Would you expect to replace the brakes on your car if you had absolutely no knowledge or training on such a job and would you be happy to drive the car with passengers in if you had managed to fumble your way thro' the job?

If you want advice on how to run waste pipes or fix non gas related problems I'm sure plenty of people will offer advice.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll find help on this subject, we've spent to much money, time and effort to get our gas age quals. Not only that I wouldn't want to advise anyone that I didn't think or know was competent. Good luck

I used to have an LPG C/H boiler supplied from a bulk LPG tank about
25 metres from the house. Having dispensed with that boiler (I now have an air-source heat exchanger), I wish to utilise the underground
pipe which is 25mm yellow plastic, to feed propane gas from a smallish
19kg bottle, to my hob, which currently receives its gas from the same bottle through a 15mm copper pipe, the bottle being situated only about 4 metres distant.
How best should I do this?
Can I just connect it all up and expect the pressure to be adequate, or should I be thinking of inserting a smaller bore plastic pipe within the 25mm one so that the pressure drop is less?
Any helpful advice would be gratefully received.

The fact that you think that using a smaller bore pipe to reduce pressure loss indicates that you don't understand what is involved in the job. Are you aware of the tightness tesing, and testing for let by times with LPG? Are you aware of the fact that some materials used with natural gas are not suitable for LPG?

Just because LPG comes in a bottle does not make it any less dangerous than natural gas. In fact the properties of LPG tend to make it more dangerous because it is more searching and if it does leak it tends to puddle rather than disperse.

Thanks guys. All comments appreciated.
I have actually been waiting for the gas man to call and look over the job for some months and really, I need to chase him up, or get someone else to come out. Unfortunately the job is at a fairly remote site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to LPG to Propane Supply Conversion Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains pressure from small hole/crack The outside of pipe (measured with veneer caliper) at 23.5mm Pipe Runs under drive, along side of property and looks to go...
Replies
Views
Im fitting a kitchen in my own house . When removing the gas oven on a bayonet fitting and turned the gas hob off and removed a four burner gas hob. Ive noticed that the oven supply 15mm and the hob supply is 15mm but once the cupboard is out i can see the hob supply is 10mm in the wall. Which...
Replies
Views
Could anyone please tell me if I can transfer the LPG supply to the boiler & stove from a large outdoor tank onto a bottled LPG ? We’ve had to remove the large Flo Gas tank in the garden because we’re having a garage built in that area, so we purchased large glass bottles the kind that run...
Replies
Views
Hello all I'm a householder in Dorset and need my post-meter natural gas supply pipe re-routing underground. Seems it's not a common job to carry out judging by the chin stroking of the Gas Safe plumbers I've asked. Anyway, I can't post my question about it - I get the "Oops . . ." message box...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, I’m changing my kitchen and swapping from a gas hob to an electric induction hob. Rest assured, I have no intention of doing any work at all on the gas supply, I just have a question. Assuming we might want to go back to gas at some point in the future, it may be worth leaving an easy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock