Search the forum,

Discuss Long Term Health of a Microbore Heating System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jerry

Gas Engineer
Hi All,

I just wanted to get some opinions on the long term prospects of a microbore system. I am personally in favour of them. I am very happy to instal a 'point to point' system with a nice manifold. As long as the system is sealed, filter, well inhibited and maintained, then it should be durable in the long term.

I understand many people will say that the homeowner will neglect it, the property will change hands, the system will be abused etc etc and that will result in its quicker demise.

However, as a metaphor, if you own a car, then it is your responsibility to understand it and take care of it. You need to check the tyres and top up the fluids at a minimum. We nearly all have cars and we nearly all have heating systems.

And can we have more constructive comments than "it should all be done in copper, like a proper plumber because that's how I was taught back in the day".

If its looked after it's good but as you said if it's not looked after it can be a nightmare.

I still look after quite a few on 8mm that are 30+ years old and as good today as they were 30 years ago. But we don't have much of an issue with sludge round me.

Well from my experience the harder the water the worse the sludge. I lived in the cotswolds 1 side of the hill was Severn trent the other Thames the Thames which was really hard water was horrific for sludge the Severn trent not as bad but still bad then down here it's hardly a problem at all.

Well from my experience the harder the water the worse the sludge. I lived in the cotswolds 1 side of the hill was Severn trent the other Thames the Thames which was really hard water was horrific for sludge the Severn trent not as bad but still bad then down here it's hardly a problem at all.
Well, you learn something new everyday. I wonder if the ph of the water due to the limescale has something to do with it aswell.

My own house is copper microbore. Fitted in the early 90s and it’s clean as a whistle. Sealed system from new.
The ones that are bother, generally have open vent and with poor pipe layout, they get oxygenated water, which is the ,sin cause of sludge and corrosion.
Then there’s plastic!!! This had big problems early on, with non barrier pipe. And even with new installs, it can still cause blockages, as the deposits seem to flake off and block up where there is an insert.
So..... copper microbore, ok. Plastic awful! But that’s just my opinion.

Microbore just can’t handle long runs and also struggles to heat large radiators.
And the plastic microbore is a lot worse due to having thicker walls, so actual internal bore much smaller.
I don’t use copper or plastic microbore but I can see the advantage of using it on very short runs to some radiators, feeding it in one piece

Microbore just can’t handle long runs and also struggles to heat large radiators.
And the plastic microbore is a lot worse due to having thicker walls, so actual internal bore much smaller.
I don’t use copper or plastic microbore but I can see the advantage of using it on very short runs to some radiators, feeding it in one piece

I haven't found it to be a problem with large radiators on a point to point system. Maybe this would be more pronounced with a normal radial style system.

I do agree that the bore size of plastic pipes is generally smaller because of the insert. This is why I am trying to use Buteline because they claim they have the highest bore size.

I haven't found it to be a problem with large radiators on a point to point system. Maybe this would be more pronounced with a normal radial style system.

I do agree that the bore size of plastic pipes is generally smaller because of the insert. This is why I am trying to use Buteline because they claim they have the highest bore size.

Plastic pipes are not only at the insert a smaller diameter, but obviously entire pipe is due to needing to be much heavier walled than copper.
It is the long length of runs that is the problem.
A real test of a system is on full demand for the radiators, like severe winter days when you find the rads with undersized or badly balanced pipework not able to fully heat and the middle and lower part of rad cool.
I notice this with systems that have mixed pipework to rads (microbore and 15mm).

Sorry, please can you explain what you mean by "a point to point system"? We're about to have our 1 pipe system ( a combi on what was a backboiler system originally) repiped and the engineer is talking about 22mm copper with manifolds and then 10mm plastic to the radiators so he can channel the pipes into the wall behind the radiators. Just had a new boiler fitted so the system's all been flushed and inhibitor added and now has a filter.

Sorry, please can you explain what you mean by "a point to point system"? We're about to have our 1 pipe system ( a combi on what was a backboiler system originally) repiped and the engineer is talking about 22mm copper with manifolds and then 10mm plastic to the radiators so he can channel the pipes into the wall behind the radiators. Just had a new boiler fitted so the system's all been flushed and inhibitor added and now has a filter.
channel pipes into wall, hmmm
put them into plastic conduit chased into the wall to allow exp and contraction. centralheatking

Surely pipes should just be sized correctly? Smaller pipes required greater velocities/have bigger pressure losses than larger pipes varying the same volume. Smaller pipes have a greater surface area for a given cross sectional area meaning greater heat loss too. Generally they seem more fragile and inherently more likely to become blocked by debris. The greater velocities however are more likely to reduce the build up on pipe walls. Personally I think the cons outweigh the pros with microbore.

Surely pipes should just be sized correctly? Smaller pipes required greater velocities/have bigger pressure losses than larger pipes varying the same volume. Smaller pipes have a greater surface area for a given cross sectional area meaning greater heat loss too. Generally they seem more fragile and inherently more likely to become blocked by debris. The greater velocities however are more likely to reduce the build up on pipe walls. Personally I think the cons outweigh the pros with microbore.
That is a very well considered opinion off shore we should all be impressed with it ...thank you....centralheatking

'Point to Point' heating involves manifolds and has a pair of pipes (flow and return) from the manifold going directly to each radiator.

'Point to Point' heating involves manifolds and has a pair of pipes (flow and return) from the manifold going directly to each radiator.
So in approx' 100 m2 2 storey, 3 bed, 2 reception house would there be a manifold for the ground floor and one for upstairs? 22mm copper going from the boiler to/from the manifolds and microbore to and from the radiators?

Reply to Long Term Health of a Microbore Heating System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I'm after some advice for a current system which I'm looking to replumb. Our house has had various extensions of heating system with newbuild extension and other additional rads over the years and now the system is inefficient and doesn't heat up consistently. In the extension, because the...
Replies
Views
Sandy Rivers
S
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock