Currently reading:
"Lock Out", Hot Water...

Discuss "Lock Out", Hot Water... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Starship1

We have a Worchester Combi boiler.( Oil)
At the moment the boiler is not firing, or at least we have no hot water, the "Lock Out" light is red, so as manual i pressed the button for a reset. tried this some 4-5 times, yet we still have a red light, and no hot water.
I'am sure it could be number of things, but any ideas at this point please

Its always the first question!, and dont be afraid to say if you have run out of oil, it can save a lot of effort.

Does it run at all or go straight to lock out when you reset?

Really need an oil engineer to have a look at it.

Thanks for the replies, Yes Oil checked and theres plenty of oil in tank.

Resetting, the Lock out goes to red straight away.

Had a new water softner fitted along with a service in January, thats about all thats been done to the boiler.

Thanks..

Does it fire at all, really need to listen to it trying to go through ignition sequence. Doesn't sound like coil, but could be photo cell, transformer or control box. Could even be as simple as pump coupling. Needs pressure gauge on and a good listen. Get whoever serviced it for you in January to have a look for you, I'm sure he'll be able to sort it for you.

No, there seems to be no firing at all. turn hot water tap on, the usal sound of the boiler firing up does not happen, tried the central heating, same there...

I was hoping it would be somthing simple, but seems not, pity its bank holiday, so its a tuesday phone call mes think..

thanks for the input.

regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is it? If its under 2 years, registered and serviced at 12 months you could get Worcester out under warranty!

How old is it? If its under 2 years, registered and serviced at 12 months you could get Worcester out under warranty!

The boiler was fitted in 2006. In Jan 11 we had some work done through the warm front scheme, so i was wondering if the work done by there approved fitter, which included a new radiator, some new parts fitted to the boiler and service is under the fitters warrentry..

The boiler was fitted in 2006. In Jan 11 we had some work done through the warm front scheme, so i was wondering if the work done by there approved fitter, which included a new radiator, some new parts fitted to the boiler and service is under the fitters warrentry..

Can't see it unless it was the photocell then??

The warmfront scheme would've only upgraded your existing system to current standards. What you probably had added to the boiler would be an AAV and PRV, neither of which would affect the operation of the burner.

This wouldn't be covered under the scheme, you wull be charged I'm afraid.

Whereabouts are you, perhaps there's a lad on here can help.

Photocell's shot.

Thanks for that, is there anyway of checking the photocell, it is also suggested in the manual that a possible faulty control box, again anyway of checking this..

regards..

Check resistance with multimeter, could also be transformer (lack of spark) or a shorting ignition lead.

The warmfront scheme would've only upgraded your existing system to current standards. What you probably had added to the boiler would be an AAV and PRV, neither of which would affect the operation of the burner.

This wouldn't be covered under the scheme, you wull be charged I'm afraid.

Whereabouts are you, perhaps there's a lad on here can help.

According to paper work there were a few various parts added including a new pump. And as you say some updates along with the new additional radiator service etc..
I am still awaiting some one to come out to check the work from Eaga/Warmfront.
Is there anyway of checking the photocell, it is also suggested in the manual that a possible faulty control box, again anyway of checking this..
Both componants look quite easy to change, possibly get the parts from our local Plumb Centre.

regards.. From Attleborough, Norfolk.

It's going to be (as suggested above) something to do with the burner in the boiler. Well, 99% chance of it being the burner. You can get hot water by turning on your immersion heater while waiting for your boiler man to call.

(Immersion heater is in the top of your hot water cylinder and is operated by a nearby switch - mentioned this, not to be patronising but because it's surprising how many don't know this!)

Thanks all for the continued help.
Anyone got any ideas of costs for the seperate parts, such as the photocell and the cost of a control box ?.

thanks

I know you dont have hot water when the tap is run because the boiler doesnt fire up but is the boiler hot?, The flow switch brings the pump on to circulate the water from the boiler through the heat exchanger, at the same time it fires the boiler. If the flow switch is faulty it wont bring the boiler on but the boiler will come on on its tank stat. Does it work in heating mode.
Sorry didnt see the Lock out on.
It sounds like you are saying that the fan doesnt even come on, if this is the case is there a buzzing noise coming from the burner when you press the lockout button.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the motor,either stuck or faulty.It's a job that will need an engineer to diagnose really,as it could be a few different things.I'm not a fan of oil combis I have to say,I think their operating sequences place a lot of strain on burner components.

Can't mind what burner's on the worcester. Can the op let us know?

It's either bentone or rdb, from the age I would reckon bentone

Electro oil sterling 40 on (26/32 model) , electro oil inter B11 on (20/25 model), electro oil inter B9B on (15/19 model)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to "Lock Out", Hot Water... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back