Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Limescale prevention

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by scoz, Jan 5, 2019.

Discuss Limescale prevention in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. scoz

scoz Member

Does anyone have experience of limescale prevention systems that actually work without breaking the bank. My area has hard water and having tried electrical units at a £90 cost previously and thrown them away as I could see no difference I am looking for something that works to prevent scale build up as the shower head will become blocked within 2 weeks, it also affects taps and kettles, irons etc. Ideally I would want to keep my outlet low and if you could advise on what not to buy as well as what you know is ok. I was told rightly or wrongly I do not want the ones using salt as I will be using it for drinking water also.

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Proper water softener with salt and kitchen tap off before the softener.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. scoz

scoz Member

Thanks

4. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

There isn’t any other way than using a water softener as Simon has already mentioned.

5. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber

A combimate might be a good option, they use polyphosphates which there is actual scientific backup for, unlike the magnet/electric snakeoil.

Here's some info on polyphosphates:

http://www.pacificwater.com.au/product/polyphosphate-scale-inhibitor/

Although its called a combimate, it can be used housewide rather than just on the boiler, you just change the insert so you can fit more polyphosphate balls in it.

A water softener would be more effective (polyphosphates don't work as well when water is boiled for extended periods of time) but they are more expensive and take up more room.

I don't have personal experience of these as I'm in a very softwater area, but have done a fair bit of reading up on the subject for my mum who is in an area with very hard water and it seems like a decent compromise and plan on installing one for her.

6. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Only a water softener will give you the results you want. The rest are snake oil

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

What you spend on salt, you will save in not buying limescale remover and all the time you spend messing around cleaning

Plus savings in all the soap products you use around the house... soap, shampoo, washing up liquid, washing powder ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. scoz

scoz Member

Thankyou everyone for your input, I will go the salt route.

9. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

If your kitchen tap is not softened water then your kettle will still fur up; as problems go, that's a small one. And citric acid to descale is really cheap.

In fairness, most people can safely drink softened water so you could perhaps even use softened water in the kettle, but we always provide an unsoftened tap as you can hardly install a water system that is okay for most people but not for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. scoz

scoz Member

Thanks for that as I have to be careful with my salt

11. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I understand there is a significant difference between temporary and permenant hardness supplied from a domestic mains water supply. This has impact upon how its dealt with and what sort of hot water producing system is applied to this supply
    centralheatking

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Lunchbox171

Lunchbox171 New Member

I've had really good results using Aquabion products, clients love them and they are way better that cheaper alternatives.. Note that they do not soften the water they alter the chemical makeup of the limescale so that it does not stick to sanitaryware..
    Their lifespan is 7yrs to with no maintenance.

13. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Is that not the same theory behind magnetic and electolytic filters?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lunchbox171

Lunchbox171 New Member

Similar, but these actually work unlike the limebeaters etc

15. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Bath in Somerset has very hard water. I lived there for 20 years.
    Kettles shower heads etc. were cleaned using the yellow crystals that changed to green when done. We also had a Declomat pump thing that pumped hot water with same chemicals in it and cleaned out the heat exchangers. Then I made a better one with an F&E tank and more powerfull pump.
    Big houses had their own water softener little ones used a combimate with those syphos crystals....which are harmless we used to pop them in our mouth to show customers that they were safe. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Like Like x 1

Users found this page by searching for:

1. limescale prevention

Users found this page by searching for:

1. limescale prevention