Discuss Licensing of plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

All trades should have a register and licence approach. Cut down on cowboys and I believe people would have a better understanding of an apples for apples price for works as everyone, I think, would be in more or less the same ball park using the correct trades for the scope. Everyone would know that bob was not a tiler, spark and plumber unless they could produce their trading licence to prove they were competent. Maybe even make it mandatory to have all relevant trade ID numbers on paperwork and van.

I’ve worked in highly unionised environments and they are a nightmare.

I’ve even once nearly caused a strike in one. I reported the light in the room I was working in had failed. Then spent 2 days working by torch light, finally I lost my rag and went and stole a lamp from another room. A day and a half later an electrician turned up and was seriously angry I had the audacity to do what was an electricians job.

Even the simplest of jobs become a chew, you’d need about 6 different “licensed” trades people to fit a bathroom. It’s hard enough getting a plaster to turn up in the same month you want one.
[automerge]1569228458[/automerge]
I`m gonna disagree about everyone would be more or less in the same ballpark price wise, don`t think it will happen as there will always be somebody willing to do it cheaper, ie newbies starting out and wanting the work.

Many industries and most big companies have quite well set out pay scales based on experience/competence/responsibility. It can in theory be done, it only comes unstuck with little one man bands.

With the notable exception of gas the vast majority of construction quality regulation seems to hold householder and not the contractor responsible. You’d probably have a lot fewer cowboys chucking up extensions with little or no regard for building regulations if they were liable and not the home owner.

Last edited:
I`m gonna disagree about everyone would be more or less in the same ballpark price wise, don`t think it will happen as there will always be somebody willing to do it cheaper, ie newbies starting out and wanting the work.
I agree and disagree with you. If everyone was installing to the same standards and outlay on correct materials and overheads to operate then..... public would also be much more aware of who is suitable to do what jobs with every trade having a recognised register. They may not know the name of it off hand but, do know there is one and they would be advised to check credentials. Big companies don't like unions. Too much power in the peoples hands. We don't have any kind of representation of a union with GS, do we? Businesses only have to choose to listen to any union, if you don't want to listen you are not obliged to anyway. Most small businesses, like us, are fair in our dealings and try to look after people. Including customers, any trades we need to complete works, sparks etc.

I agree and disagree with you. If everyone was installing to the same standards and outlay on correct materials and overheads to operate then... public would also be much more aware of who is suitable to do what jobs with every trade having a recognised register. They may not know the name of it off hand but, do know there is one and they would be advised to check credentials. Big companies don't like unions. Too much power in the peoples hands. We don't have any kind of representation of a union with GS, do we? Businesses only have to choose to listen to any union, if you don't want to listen you are not obliged to anyway. Most small businesses, like us, are fair in our dealings and try to look after people. Including customers, any trades we need to complete works, sparks etc.

You could argue if everyone gets paid the same what motivates anyone to strive to be better than average?

How would you account for operating costs? The poor guys having to work in central London spend 4 hours of every day getting between jobs, the guy in an quiet suburb may only spend 30 mins.

You reminded me..... I worked as a summer student in factory and was carrying out a test of a new machine.

The machine had the fuse removed to stop employees playing with it and I got very little warning about doing the test runs.

I phoned for the electrician to fit the fuses and he did it.

Some tests later,I went to the electricians office and asked the person to put the fuse in.
The reply was "I'm an electrician's mate and cannot put the fuse in"

A few days later I phoned the electrician and he said " I'm a bit busy at the moment,so could I put the fuses in as you know where they are"

Great experience.

Reply to Licensing of plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Scott Jenkins Water Softeners Ltd is a fast growing family run business that covers all aspects of Water Softeners and Drinking Water Systems...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Good evening PlumbersForum I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Apologies if this has been asked before but here goes: completed 2 years of an apprenticeship about 30 years ago so have no formal...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock