Discuss Licensing of plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

In US there seems to be a jumbled mess of state laws regarding construction. One common one however seems to be plumbing work must be completed by a licensed contractor. This appears to be similar to GasSafe but cover all aspects of plumbing and heating. Do people think the U.K. would benefit from a similar scheme?

I’ll start with my pragmatic if somewhat cyclical view.

I’m not aware of any justification in terms of health or safety to extend the scope of a scheme like gas safe to cover all aspects of plumbing and heating not just gas.

Also I think GasSafe and Part P were largely motivated by ensuring HMRC received their pound of flesh for reasonably expensive but otherwise difficult to trace domestic work and consumer safety was a side benefit.

I think there always have been and always will be a range of clients in the domestic construction market. Some are a little more comfortable and happily pay for a decent standard of work. Some will choose to undertake work themselves and others will choose a person not competent to compete the task.

I’d be surprised if the percentage of those in these groups have changed dramatically over the last 60 years.

yes and no but i do believe we should have permits to work on wholesome water /system etc

In a domestic setting or commercially?

I had a good google and reports of legionella etc are pretty thin on the ground.

both tbh the amount of arse washers and blue water that is connected to drinking water is stupid but it needs to be enforced strongly with high penalties

eg

both tbh the amount of arse washers and blue water that is connected to drinking water is stupid but it needs to be enforced strongly with high penalties

eg

Wouldn’t it be easier to force the manufacturers to integrate check valves into more products. That way you protect the public from the cowboys who don’t m ow any better too?

Wouldn’t it be easier to force the manufacturers to integrate check valves into more products. That way you protect the public from the cowboys who don’t m ow any better too?

check valves dont always protect the water supply and they can fail, but im sure we can come up with a more perm way to incorporate check valves into things like fill valves (supprised no ones fitted / made one into a service valve )

I have used very experienced plumbers for installation work.
One didn't follow 7671 edition 17 nor edition 18 for the electrical work.

If you are GSP then you can hardly not be registered and passed the exam.

7671 ? Sorry don’t know that

7671 ? Sorry don’t know that

BS7671 is the requirements for electrical installation normally referred to as the wiring regulations.
[automerge]1569132777[/automerge]

Fair comment on electrical work on heating systems it’s generally shockingly bad to the point of criminal.

Not sure the 18th edition course is right for plumbers, I sat it a few months back and 95% of it is irrelevant to plumbing/heating.

Last edited:

Reply to Licensing of plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Scott Jenkins Water Softeners Ltd is a fast growing family run business that covers all aspects of Water Softeners and Drinking Water Systems...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Good evening PlumbersForum I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Apologies if this has been asked before but here goes: completed 2 years of an apprenticeship about 30 years ago so have no formal...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock