Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Legionella vs danger of scalding (rented houses) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iiplumbing

Hi all

I was servicing an unvented cylinder in a rented house (not tenanted as yet) which had its outlet temp at about 57degC.

I turned the stat down to about 50degC (there are no TMV's and the basin taps are pillar, bath and sink mixer.

I informed the landlord but he said the temps had been set that high due to him having had a legionella risk assessment

his system was electric heating and unvented stored hot water.

if it were me, on a system like this I would store at 50degC to balance all the risks, but most legionella legislation points to 60degC stored with outlet temp of 55

What are your thoughts on the risk of scalding vs the risk of legionella?

Cheers

Russ

HI Lame

Sorry don't do acronyms very well, what's hw fm cyl (hot water fm? cylinder)

Cheers

Russ

Should be stored at 60 degrees.
Tmv is not obligatory in that environment

Hi all

I was servicing an unvented cylinder in a rented house...

What are your thoughts on the risk of scalding vs the risk of legionella?

Cheers

Russ

Severe lung infection which is sometimes fatal VS Scalded skin.
What are your thoughts on this, Russ?

unless its feeding a shower then scalding is prob the bigger risk and prob a bigger killer.

unless its feeding a shower then scalding is prob the bigger risk and prob a bigger killer.

i agree with Mr whiting, it's all about balancing risk as in a risk assessment (hence the term)

so so to answer Alexgas my assessment would (on this property) would be thus

it has a single unvented storage tank, two bed so the turnover of water in the cylinder would be once a day maybe once every two days

i would balance risk of scalding against legionella on this basis by storing water at 50degC (a temp at which legionella does not propogate) this limits the risk of the bacteria growing allowing the supply water to be reasonably hot but with a significantly lower risk of scalding. I would put warning notices in all hot taps warning them of water temp

i would then once or twice a year raise the temp in the tank to 60degC for two/three hours to sterilise

i have dischargedy responsibility as a landlord to assess the risks and take reasonable steps to reduce the risk

therefore would I, as a landlord, be open to prosecution if either

1/ someone contracted legionella
2/ scalded themselves

And therein lies the real question, would I be prosecuted?

is that a legal question? Can anyone help?

The biggest killer in this country is falls from stairs in houses % wise. In bungalows this % falls dramatically perhaps there should be a regulation that enforces all new home buyers to live in bungalows or if this is not possible live down stairs.

One agent I do little bits for ask for legionella assessments to be done if not done already. I've not done it but they pay £15 on bill to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Legionella vs danger of scalding (rented houses) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock