Discuss Legal assistance/advice for an unhappy customer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

direct-network

Hi, I'm looking for advice from anybody who has experienced a similar situation and/or knows what may be a good route to take...

I was contacted by a landlord in October, requesting a quote to re-paint his house that is due to be rented out again before the tenants move in.

When I quoted it, everything was fine, the landlord even handed me keys before I had given him a quoted figure for the work(s)..!

I undertook the requested work on the following monday, completing it on the friday. On the friday, he visited the property and paid the full amount in cash and was happy with it all.

On the saturday, the landlord contacted me, asking me to touch up a couple of things that he wasnt happy with and do some extra work (including disconnect a cooker, and reconnect a new one, this was subcontracted to a gas engineer). this was done, and I didn't hear anything for a week, until I chased up the payment for the extra work(s). At this point, things have gone very sour!

Basically he is saying the painting is patchy (i have worked for landlords for a while and NEVER had one complaint) and that he had to get British Gas out as the heating wasn't working, therefore he is not paying for the extra works.

I have spoken to the gas engineer who explained, the only time he touched to boiler was to relight the pilot light. He did the cooker work, and performed a soundness/tightness test), as far as he is concerned it's happy days.

I then explained this to the landlord, and I asked, so what did British Gas actually do....His response? I Don't know. My argument for this is that, you didn't contact me to say there ias a problem, get your engineer out to sort it, and secondly you don't even know what BG did to repair it!!!

Further, he says he is still unhappy with the quality of the work, his 75year old auntie could paint better (maybe she needs to take up a career late on then ;) ). He has photographic proof of the poor work (i have not seen this yet) and is forwarding it to all estate agents in the area, as well as leaving a negative review on yell.com as I am apparently a "rip off merchant" and hat the work wasn't worth the money. He claims he has had to pay a "mate" £165 to finish it. I am of course going to request proof of this invoice, which I guess will be fabricated but I gotta follow the rules, again the same with a BG invoice for works, I'll be interested to see what they did..!

I know this is rubbish, I spoke to him this evening and he shouted down the phone (inc swearing), wouldnt let me speak and eventually put the phone down, and cut me off when I called him again.

I know this is gonna be a pain to sort out, but I'm looking for advice on where to start, I've searched google, but all i get is advice from a homeowner side of (cowboy tradesmen etc) which isn't much help. I've also looked at "The Supply of Services & Good Act 1989" but still not much luck....

Anyone any ideas? If I have anything else to add, I will below this!

Take legal advise, you could possibly have a case for slander.

Thank you, now the "posh" version has been posted, i'd like to add the guy is a fool lol.

Would Citizens advice deal with business dealings?

Last edited by a moderator:
No Idea but most solicitors give you a free hour. Tell the twonk your seeking legal advise first he may fold.

I will tell you what I know:

- If unhappy with the work he should have given you the opportunity to correct it yourself, therefore claiming money from you for this is on shaky ground. You have a contract for the works even if it is verbal (as many are!) He does not have the right to ask you for money on this basis.

I always take pictures of my work just to be safe. There is always someone who will claim this that and the other . . . . . I presume that he is full of hot air anyway. You are lucky you got paid as there are plenty of times when I have been stinged for money in this type of situation.

I have a court claim going through the Small Claims Court against a company that tried to deduct money from my final invoice to 'correct' my work amongst many other things . . . .

If they do not give you a chance to correct the work yourself initially they do not have a leg to stand on legally!

I would just tell him that if he chooses to fight, slander and so on that you will fight him all the way tooth and nail. Probably he wont bother . . . .

I hope that helps anyway!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he starts slandering your name all over town then by all means get lawyers involved. Write off the cooker job, however let him know by letter that you have concerns, should he have any comments to make then "please get in touch and see if we can work out a suitable compromise".
Always deal with these types by letter, stay calm and collected in all correspondence. No-one ever won anything by shouting their mouth off ranting & raving.
As already mentioned he should have given you the right to correct any defects, by getting someone else in he has effectively shifted responsibility to the new contractor as you cannot be held responsible for work that has been covered up.

seems to me his 'mate' could have done it for half the price and he is cheesed of the boiler decided to take a dickyfit, so his 'mates' told him your a cowboy.imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Legal assistance/advice for an unhappy customer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back