Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking tap connector callout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Just had a call out to sort a leak under a washbasin. 1/2" tap connector (fibre) had almost split - replaced and all seems well. All copper - no flexis, and tap was fixed to basin correctly.:santa3:

But for the life of me, I cannot understand WHY the tap connector had decided to split. It did look like the joint between the tap and the pipework had been weeping for a while, but when the customer asked me why it should SUDDENLY fail, I had to say I could only speculate.

Anyone feel like giving me the benefit of their experience? I'm at a slight loss here :)

Had loads of them no reason for it ! maybe just poor quality, nothing seems to last these days.

tap movement, getting hot then cold, it is only a bit of fibre, will fail in the end

do you mean the washer?never seen a connector fail,you can buy plastic washers,fibre always seems to give trouble

I am using on copper tap connectors the "rubber" flat washers (same size as fibre) that are supplied for plastic tap connectors.
Far better than the fibre washers that will disintegrate, especially with hot water.
Even plenty of turns of ptfe tape made in a rope to make a washer is better than fibre washer.

And why people fit tap connectors to connect to 1/2" taps or Ballvalve tails that are made to take a copper pipe with nut & olive, is beyond me. The sharp end of the end of the tapered brass tail is not a good idea to be tight against a flat washer.

Correct: the fibre washer, not a fibre connector :)

Edit: Best - the same reason people put PTFE on compression joint threads? Also, I'd like to know why the person who had fitted the tap had put a piece of leather between the basin and the backnut... but that's another story.

Last edited:
Correct: the fibre washer, not a fibre connector :)

Edit: Best - the same reason people put PTFE on compression joint threads?
Williams sell them,(The plastic versions)Drop Ray Stafford a pm,he is one of our sponsors

Thanks for that. I was used to using fibre exclusively as had taken the impression that fibre was the better material for the job. Will have to look at alternatives again, or at least the best quality fibre washers I can get. That said, old ones (1960s) in parents' and grandparents' houses have yet to fail (possibly they contained asbestos back then?).

EDIT - Cheers gas man - I have a business card, but not a formal letterhead (still using a dot matrix printer...) so as yet fail to meet Ray's company's requirements to prove myself to be trade, unless they just want to see my name and address with a business card stapled on, which is what I usually do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking tap connector callout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock