Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking lead pipe. How to stop it! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saabuldin

In my garden I have lead pipe going across to neighbours. It supplies my house first then it carries on to 2 more houses.

Just under the neighbours brick wall there's a leak. I was digging the ground and I think with slight movement it started leaking. The problem is that the leak is right under the wall and neighbours side is all concreted. I have managed to chop a hole on my side to to get access to the pipe but I only have about 4 inches of pipe from neighbours concrete to the leak. How can I stop the leak. Is there a liquid thing which I can pour around it and wait till it hardens.

I don't want to replace the pipe as it will cost too much and I will have to contact the landlords of the neighbours as the house are rented. It's too much hassle. I just want to stop the leak and concrete it. If anything happens to it in future with the leak then be it.

Just a quick fix I want. I know everyone is gona say no can't touch it, need new line but I can't do that so that is not an option.

Its not a quick fix. If what you say is true and you havent caught it then the pipe is shot and needs fixing properly.

there is nothing you can seal with it bar denzso tap to wrap round it, as a temp fix the other thing is get the water board out as it feeds other house they may need to fix it

Not the best way , but if you can get on to the pipe, cut out leaky section and use lead locks to replace section then wrap in denso tape and hope for the best . But it will need replacing one day . If it's before your stop tap , can,t the water board do the job for you or fit you a meter and feed your house separately ?

As smt said defo ring water board. As it is lead and a shared supply they may replace it for free. If not they will still have a look for free and may have some advice.

I've only got about 4 inches on one side of the leak. Is that enough to use utc

Or a lead lock. Is it a hole? If it a pinhole shape a bit of broom Handel into a spike and hammer it in. Or gently scuff the the lead over the hole.

Or a lead lock. Is it a hole? If it a pinhole shape a bit of broom Handel into a spike and hammer it in. Or gently scuff the the lead over the hole.

Whats the difference between lead lock and utc. I've used leadlock before. But I only have about 4 inches of lead pipe on one side of leak. Would lead lock be possible of utc be easier?

This might sound stupid but if it a tear in the lead get a bit of bread yes bread force it in the tear / hole then lead solder over it the bread should hold the water back while you solder it

OK just soldered over it again and it's still leaking but very minute. 1 drop every few seconds. So I'm gona leave it like that and patch the hole with cement.

I'm at it now. I managed to do a wipe joint with solder. I switched water on and the leak is now a pin hole leak. So I'm gona turn of water and do another solder joint. It should stop. I will keep you updated
So another WRAS approved repair completed then, still could be worse he could have put in a section of copper!! :35:

Don't be an idiot. That drip will cause untold damage. Get a file remove solder and re wipe.

That's the problem. I only got about 4 inches on length coming from neighbour side. So not enough to work with lead lock.

OK what I will do then is fill it with soil and slab on top, then I have access afterwards. I think that be best.

I've been struggling with it for a while and I'm not gona touch it now. It's much better then before and I have access so I can redo it next year if that's the case.

Cut out damaged section and fix with new bit of pipe and leadlocks or philmacs.

4" of pipe to work with is plenty.

whats hard about digging a trench, laying some mdpe and joining both ends, least then you can forget about it and not lose your water supply mid winter and be sloshing about knee deep in mud

Don't leave it leaking cause. It will burst fully you will panick water board will come out shutoff then waterless

Why is is so hard to ring the water board? You may get a new free pipe!

This has got to be a wind up, I know you don't want to hear it but it needs fixing.

Its a shared mains so the water board will not do much as it is the responsibility of the households it supplies.
The water board is the stoptap in the road and then up to the first boundary.

Its worth a phone call before you bury it as they might be nice and repair the leak free of charge, you don't know if you don't ask.

I'm at it now. I managed to do a wipe joint with solder. I switched water on and the leak is now a pin hole leak. So I'm gona turn of water and do another solder joint. It should stop. I will keep you updated

Its illegal to solder lead pipes now. If you want to fix it correctly either replace the lead or cut a small section out and use 2 lead locks

Why is is so hard to ring the water board? You may get a new free pipe!
Shared supply you wont get nothing except a new connection for free as it is on lead. The repairs or laying of a new pipe is up to all the owners and it is is just about guaranteed there will be some on the line who couldn't get tick on a mars bar never mind pay for a new supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking lead pipe. How to stop it! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock