Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Leaking kitchen sink in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Member

Hi All
    I have a white 1 1/2 plastic sink that is leaking where is appears to have corroded at the bottom. Is there anything I can do to fill it?It leaking from the half sink outlet, so unsure why it would have degraded more as is not used as much
    Cheers
    Betty

2. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Member

Sorry here is the photo!

IMG_6875.jpg

3. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Good news is that it is unlikely to be the sink itself, most likely the watertight seal underneath is the cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roy_66

Roy_66 Member

Dear Betty,

So it looks like its leaking between the sink and the "waste" (the white plastic bit). Can you take another photo looking down into the sink from above. Is there a screw there to tighten it up. If you get hold of the waste does it move about at all in relation to the sink? When tightening any screw from above dont overdo it. If you can, take off the waste (remove grey pipes lower down first, and the overflow connection etc. ) Take the waste off then and clean it all up. If there is no rubber sealing ring then it needs some sealant. Try a non setting one first e.g. plumbers mait putty.

Roy

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Member

Ok Roy I will give it a go but as the sink is in another property I will follow your steps at the weekend
    See the photo please
    Will the plumbers mate putty seal it long term?

IMG_6878.1.jpg

6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Probably needs a new one. Remove the old and take it with you. Doubt you will get white now. Will probably be chrome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

White wastes are available however is that an euro sized fitting (Silver pipe)?

8. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Don’t think so mate. Just a cheap fitting. But I have been wrong before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Threads part or the plastic part the threads are fixed to might have perished.
    If tightening the nut doesn’t tighten the waste, you will need to buy a new drainer waste (with overflow connection)

10. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

looks like an Ikea waste & pipe,
    Just a thought but if changing get mcalpine fittings.
    Never had a prob with them.

• Like Like x 2
  11. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

And Ikea are euro fittings are they not?

12. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Member

So I had another look at sink on Saturday. There is no screw that can be tightened or loosed from the top of sink, it just looks like you can turn the bolt with something as there are two indentations on the bolt for this.

I was unable to budge the white waste pipe from below.

So I understand I will need to get a replacement waste fitting if this is possible??, please confirm

Betty

13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

On that type you use a socket or spanner to remove the bolt.
    Waste connection should just slacken at the grey nut and you need to also undo the white nut which is probably to the overflow.

14. richard978

richard978 Active Member

I don't think it's IKEA but you will need a new waste, try Howdens or a well stocked plumbers merchant.

15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Screw -fix do stainless steel drainer wastes and also do it with the overflow connection