Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Condensate Drainage Pipe- Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaaah, thanks. Another thing to add to the list!! Would you recommend this is done soon?

I think I will ask the plumber who comes to fix the leaking pipe!

Any recommendations for a reliable and decent plumber in Tameside :)

Thanks

Oh this just sound miserable! Poor you. I agree £2800 for all that work is a good price. How many days was he busy with it? Changing a boiler, fitting a few pipes and wiring it up is easy. Doing it neatly and keeping the customer's needs in mind is sometimes too much to ask for some plumbers and gas engineers. I'm very curious to see what the radiators look like. Please send pics!

I know!

It is a good price, but we had a few similar priced quotes, so went with an 'Ideal Boiler Installer' from their website. I am so angry that they would recommend a workman with such little care and attention.

I'm so tempted to complain to them.

I will post some pictures of the radiators when I get home from work.

He literally did it in one day, I think half the problem was he was rushing. But when we called him back he said 'I'm not a bricky'. That's not really the point! Now I have had some advice from this forum, it is clear that the condensate pipe is inadequate, and he should have sleeved the copper pipe.

I don't trust him to come back to do the work, but it's all added expense that we also can't afford.

It's all a learning curve though.

I am writing the plumber a complaint letter and requesting a refund for the work that needs doing as I don't trust him to do it.

Please could you advise me of an approximate cost (up north) for the repair of the following:

Leaking Condensate Pipe replacing

Radiator securing to wall (it moves from side to side)

Copper pipe to outside tap sleeving (ideally the pipe running inside, and then coming outside at knee height so the 3ft of copper pipe isn't exposed outside).

Repairing shoddy brick work to the front of the house

Thanks in advance, and thank again for all of your advice :)

if the rad is moving side to side on the brackets i doubt he has fitted the plastic inserts to the brackets sometimes a blob of silicon will cure it

Hard to say without seeing it in the flesh so to speak but I would imagine a couple of hundred quid

Thanks, it's just an estimate. Hopefully he will refund us, but doubt it.

Leaking Condensate Pipe replacing : £100 - £150

Radiator securing to wall/ movement : £30

new outside tap : £100

brick work : about £150

image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Photos of radiator as requested. Also slightly concerned because the installation manual states that the external condensate pipe must be a minimum of 30mm before it passes through the sleeved wall.

My pipe seems smaller. The list is never ending :whatchutalkingabout

yours is fine as it increases outside to 1 1/4

View attachment 24366View attachment 24367

Photos of radiator as requested. Also slightly concerned because the installation manual states that the external condensate pipe must be a minimum of 30mm before it passes through the sleeved wall.

My pipe seems smaller. The list is never ending :whatchutalkingabout
As mentioned yours is 30mm by looks of it. Out of interest read a few lines down as the current Logics state external condensate pipework should also be insulated with weather proof insulation (type o) as a further precaution against freezing.
I have came across a few 30mm condensates freezing solid over the years.

Hello,

This is my first post and I hope you could offer me some advice please.

We recently had a new boiler fitted, the boiler and radiators are working well, but the finish is awful.

The Condensate Drainage Pipe runs externally to the soil pipe, not ideal, but were having a conservatory fitted over it.

This pipe is now leaking from the joint where it meets the soil pipe and also the elbow and other joints. The plumber is avoiding our messages and to be honest I would rather ask someone else to do the job.

I have attached a picture of the pipe, I'm no expert but should it not be one pipe at an angle?

Please could you offer advice on what I should be asking a plumber for, I need this pipe to be water tight, as its going to be boxed in in the conservatory which is supposed to be getting done in the first weeks of January.

Thank You in advance (sorry I couldnt rotate it!)

Nat View attachment 24249:)
Looks like a plumber who forgot to bring solvent weld glue.

When I say sleeved I mean the copper pipe should be run through the wall in a sleeve made from plastic overflow pipe. This is a regulation and prevents chemicals in mortar and plaster from reacting with the copper pipe which over time causes pinhole leaks
I think it's more to do with movement and abrasion mate

Well the plumber got back, he feels the condensate pipe is perfectly suitable, as he has installed 100's like that. They do have leaks where the glue needs resealing or the glue hasn't set.

He is coming to glue the pipe as needed. However I would feel more confident with one diagonal pipe. What would you recommend I ask for? Just a glue or a new pipe?

Thanks again :)

Well the plumber got back, he feels the condensate pipe is perfectly suitable, as he has installed 100's like that. They do have leaks where the glue needs resealing or the glue hasn't set.

He is coming to glue the pipe as needed. However I would feel more confident with one diagonal pipe. What would you recommend I ask for? Just a glue or a new pipe?

Thanks again :)

New pipe outside as well as it looks a mess

Remember your rights:

1) As a trader, he must perform the service with relevant care and skill, and within a reasonable time frame. Also, information said or written is binding, ‘where the consumer relies on it’.

2) If any of the parts of his service is below standard, you as the consumer are entitled to ask for him to either redo a part of the service or complete the whole service again for free.

3) If the service cannot be performed within a reasonable amount of time, without causing inconvenience, you, the consumer are entitled to ask for a price reduction – in some cases up to 100%.

4) He has only one chance to redo a service to the customer’s satisfaction.

You have all the advice and list of items here, so go through this thread again and make the appropriate notes.

a) Give him the full list that you have from here, including the requirement for the Benchmark report PLUS a copy of the Building Regulations notification that he has to have filed.

b) Advise him that if it is not fixed properly (all the items) first time to YOUR satisfaction within a reasonable time - agree ithe timescale with him, that you will get a third party to fix it and reclaim the costs from him.

- If nescessary to get redress, you can easily contact GasSafe and raise a complaint (too few people do :( )

Thanks Worcester. I will be asking for replacement of the condensate pipes, I am anticipating he won't be happy with this, so if he doesnt I will explain that I will be seeking a refund for the cost of the repairs.

Whilst I'm here, could anyone tell me how I would attach foam insulation to the pipes where it meets the wall? Does it need sealing or anything? I'm such an ammateur lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Condensate Drainage Pipe- Advice Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock