Discuss Leak from a hot water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

loopster

Hello all!

Just hoping for a little bit of advice on a small leak I have from the bolt that secures the inner coil inlet to the hot water cylinder itself. The leak is very slow and only happens when the cylinder is cold . It appears the water is coming from the threaded area rather than from where the washer or gasket is. Take a look at the photo - green arrow shows where the water is coming form (after cleaning all the crud/lime scale build up):

I figure that the bolt just needs re-sealing, but want to check the best way to to this. It has been in place for many years, but the bolt does move so should be removable. The problem is I am not sure of the arrangement inside the tank and whether mucking about with that bolt might put the wrong sorts of strain on the coil or the tank wall. The questions I have are...

1. Can it be fixed?!
2. Can I remove that bolt safely.
3. Would I need a new gasket/washer between bolt and cylinder?
4. Does the thread just need a bit of PTFE tape to stop the leak?
5. Do I need to drain both the system and the cylinder?
6. Do I leave it all where it is and bodge it(!) with copper epoxy?

The only other thing is the fact that accessibility is a real pig - but such is life sometime ;)

I'd appreciate any advice or insight into this. Many thanks,

Loopster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. My method would be to undo the nut a turn wrap ptfe tape in the gap (as much as possiable) and tighten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak from a hot water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock