Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Lead pipes connecting to 22mm copper in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. bacon_sandwich

bacon_sandwich GSR

OK I have so far managed to avoid or replace lead pipes, but not this job.

Any recommendation for fitting to go from lead OD 25mm to 28mm - all three pipes have a different OD, lol to 22mm copper ?
    many thanks

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Lead lock

Philmac utc to copper

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bacon_sandwich

bacon_sandwich GSR

thx, have left site now so will just get a range of leadloks and try and work out which one fits what, lol, Philmacs look a bit chunky and i am rammed up against the wall. BTW, any idea when lead was stopped being installed, before i was born i think.....reason i ask is that the heating system is pretty old but for some reason there is lead pipes to the system tank , whereas all the rest of the pipework is either steel or copper, its almost as if the tank was there before the current, very old , heating system. I am changing the tank cos its old rusty and client does not want a leak.

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

prob was an old single pipe system

also they used to run lead for the mains services

5. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

I normaly use a 9lb lead lock, most times you need to use a coarse rasp first to get it to fit as the soft lead is often misshaped and in need of filing down. Can be tricky in a tight spot but persevere it can be done.

6. bacon_sandwich

bacon_sandwich GSR

thx Darren, yep noticed they were already slightly oval, will take all my metal fabricating tools along for good measure. Plumbcentre have a selection of leadloks in stock so on my way to get them all.