Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Landlord safety tickets in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. SWG Solutions

SWG Solutions GSR

Hi, I’m newly qualified and just need to clear things up. I shadow a few gas engineers still as I want to be 100% certain on what I am doing. I was at a landlord safety check yesterday and he was unable to do the operating pressure as it was a zero governor gas valve. So we done a gas rate instead, but my question is; can you always just do a Gas rate instead of operating pressure? Or should you preferably do the operating pressure when you can?
    I’m not sure whether working with 3/4 different engineers is making it more confusing for me as they have so many different theories!
    Thanks in advance.

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What boiler?

3. SWG Solutions

SWG Solutions GSR

Heatline capriz 24c

He said most new condensing boilers have these gas valves now

4. scott_d

You can still check the inlet pressure to see if the gas supply is correct or undersized

5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You are getting confused mate. Your gas rate dependant on size of boiler will come out at around 3.0kw but everyone calls the output rating a gas rate?

6. SWG Solutions

SWG Solutions GSR

We checked the inlet pressure and there was no drop from the meter which means it was all good in that sense. Just a bit confused on the bit that you fill out on the actual certificate.

7. scott_d

No drop between the boiler and meter?
    Seems unlikely unless it was very close?

8. SWG Solutions

SWG Solutions GSR

So where it says operating pressure or heat output what can you do there? On that specific boiler I mentioned? We left it by doing just your normal gas rate as in time taken to do one revolution with the appliance on full rate.

9. SWG Solutions

SWG Solutions GSR

Was literally a maximum of 1m away. Meter was in cupboard on one side of the kitchen and boiler was on other wall.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You can do either

But as above you still can do an inlet test unless he's tried to do one on p2 and thought wtf as he would get a minus reading :D

11. SWG Solutions

SWG Solutions GSR

Great, so if I always do a Gas rate that is ok?

12. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Either or is fine on a llgsc

• Like Like x 1
  13. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

That should be approximately 3 M3/hour, NOT KW :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

Premix fan boilers (all modern condensing boilers) you can not take a ‘Burner Pressure’.
    However you can take a ‘working inlet pressure’. This should be done with all other appliances burning on full. This test tells us if the gas pipes are sized correctly and if the regulator on meter is opporating correctly.
    You can Gas Rate Any gas appliance and this makes our lives easier because it means you don’t need to take cover off the boiler!
    However I do recommend that you do take cover off and visually inspect boiler inside. This is because if you sign a boiler off that is defective inside then it’s your head on the block

15. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Sorry my bad. That’s what I meant. But couldn’t see past the fact he was calling it a gas rate.

• Like Like x 1