Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Landlord certs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil1373

Hi guys

I'm new to the forum and this is my 1st post.

I am just wondering how much people charge for cp12's
as I'm starting up on my own in the very near future.

i currently work for southern gas networks and also registered under
a mates business aswell. But due to increased shift work I'm looking at
starting up my own business as a service and install engineer due to lack of knowledge
in the breakdown area at the moment and dont want to be know as a parts monkey!

im in the south east London area and I hear private landlords and estate agents pay between
£25 - £80 and just want to know what people deem cost effective and reasonable for a good
engineer and not just a 'yes' man that will sign any old rubbish off. I've been told 50/60 area is what most good engineers charge.

im only looking at this area as my main income till I get a good name in the install area and better knowledge in the break down area.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Neil

Not worth driving arround for £25 - might just cover overheads but make no profit.

Some charge about £30 but then add on cost of servicing to make it nearer a £100 or more if there are more appliances.
This is more reasonable.

I charge £60 for a boiler and hob, extra for more appliances. My price is lower than others who contract to same estate agent to keep them coming in.

i would base my price on the appliances installed which will depend on the actual time needed which can only come from experience really. Unless your doing alot for one landlord or letting agent then i would want to earn at min the average price for each job so i would have good ens and bad ens so to speak.

tbh i dont do many as i tend to find to many faults that take time to sort out and you always get "the last engineer thought it was fine" look from tennants and landlords to which i cant be bothered with.

welcome to the forum.

minimum of 60 quid for just a ll but usually try to get a boiler service with it then 95 plus parts i try and point out to landlords that they need servicing records as well as the cert

For me it depends on quantity. Big letting agents who can give you exclusive, say 300 properties a year, I negotiate a cheaper price. In this event £55-£60. I also offer impartial gas safety checks, so if I find serious problems, I don't get involved with the remedial work, unless it is a simple job. Therfore I have nothing to gain through defecting installations. It sometimes works for the enlightened agents/landlords but not all grasp the concept.

In Leeds there are new a few new kids on the block they charge £25. I charge £40 for two appliances (hob and boiler) and if there is a fire I charge £10 - £15 per fire

Just to clarify. £55-£60 is for every job regardless of how many appliances. so it's a win some loose some., but on bulk it balances its self.

I charge £45 for one appliance then £10 for each extra appliance. I always remove fire and clear catchment space. I have disconnected a few fire recently due to bad installation. On all these the tenant said he didn't remove fire last time. It's good to go away knowing you done your job correctly. Not like a muppet who just pops smoke bomb at back and hopes smoke comes out terminal.
I find it hard to charge any more as muppets doing them cheap and landlords are tight as!!

All part of the safety check. Can not do it without removing the gas fire, unless its a DFE. Good pricing structure though for one off landlord checks.

Anyone not removing a fire to check the catchment is not doing the work correctly. Theres no excuse tbh. Another question offten asked by the tennant is "why do you want access to the loft?" , i can only imagine many engineers find it to hard to get the steps of the van :(

I always remove fire and check lofts. I know full we'll that the others contracting for my agent don't. Last week I found a dead pigeon behind a fire that was fitted to a 4mm hardboard backplate and hearth, fire stuck in with silicone. It's been there 7 years and passed every year, which just goes to show that most don't do the job right. I must I.D. 30-40% of the fires I inspect.

Loads of rubbish gas fires out there, especialy low end rentals. Common problems, cracked heat exchangers, broken radiants, missing glass draught diverters, letter box openings, closure plates not sealed properly, chimney wiff bricks missing.

Landlords and agents often think all they need to do is get an annual "Safety Certificate" as required by 36 (3) of Gas Safety 1998 regs.

Don't forget to remind them that every year landlords are prosecuted by the HSE under section 36 (2) of the 1998 Gas Safety Regulations for not maintaining relevant gas fittings.

Maintenance requirements include:
ACOP 217 suggests servicing as per MI (annually)
ACOP 218 & 226 a safety check between tenants (even though a new "Annual Cert" is not required).

If they don't believe you suggest they down load the ACOP from the HSE website for free.
Or better still buy my book! The Landlords Guide to Gas Safety

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware, many are not to be trusted.

This...
i have given up with estate agents around here. They just want yes men who sign everything off and get the cert in my experience. I now work for some decent multiple property landlords who value a thorough job.

I charge £60 for the cert and £20 per appliance, bear in mind they will be serviced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord certs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm really here with the agenda of getting other peoples thoughts on charging deposits. To date I usually charge a third of my labour to...
Replies
Views
A LL cert costs around £50 in my area for 2 appliances. I find that I am really struggling to complete it in an hour to make it worthwhile for...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament...
Replies
Views
Hi all, So I did a job for a customer recently which involved swapping out an incredibly dangerous and poorly installed unvented hot water...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock