Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss KJ's BEER THREAD! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kay-jay

hi

i posted a thread about unusual uses for your plumbing skills and equipment in which i showed a few pics of my home made brewery. some members expressed an interest in this so here is a photographic record of a full brewday.

first....the equipment!
the hot liquor tank (used simply to heat water to 76 degrees)

Untitled by kay_jay1975, on Flickr

next is the mashtun (holds the malted barley along with the heated water from the hot liquor tank.)

next is the boiler (used to boil the liquid contents from the mash tun)

the copper is used to filter the hops from the wort (raw beer)

the above equipment set up in a 3 tier gravity formation

the immersion chiller (to cool the boiled wort down to fermentation temp of 18-25degrees)

next up the ingredients....

the grist - pale malt,chocolate malt,roasted barley,black malt,torrefied wheat and flaked barley.

water treatment (thanks to good old nw united utilities my tap water is pretty good for beer so only a teaspoon of gypsum and a crushed sodium metabisulphite tablet is required)

the hops

the method!

once the hlt has heated the water to strike temp of 76 degrees release 2.5 litres of water per kilo of grain used into the mashtun then add the grain slowly (a pint at a time) stirring thouroughly
this is called doughing in and looks like this when finished

this wants leaving with the lid on for 90mins wrapped in a blanket to keep the temp stable at 65degrees (10degrees are lost while doughing in)

to be continued........

Last edited by a moderator:
the mash now wants leaving for 90 minutes wrapped up to keep the temp stable at 65degrees (11 degrees are lost while doughing in

drain the mashtun into the boiler

the mashtun looks like this when drained, this spent grain is good for chickens, give it to dogs in small amounts too!

the remaining water from hlt is run through the mashtun until the boiler is full then the wort is brought to the boil

boil for 90 mins adding the hops

after the boil is 90% complete, attach the immersion chiller to the cold tap via the hosepipe and dunk the copper coil into the hot wort. run cold water through the coil when the boil is finished to cool to a temp suitable for the yeast.
then drain into another bucket (with a snap on lid) this is for fermenting, add the yeast stick the lid on fit an airlock basically its a trap that fits to the lid to allow the co2 produced in the ferment to escape.

i'll post pics of the priming and bottling stages in about a week, and pics of the finished product a couple of weeks after that.

KJ

thanks toddy!

its gonna be a really nice stout. but i brew all kinds of real ales blondes, bitters rubies etc.

KJ

Nice pics KJ.

Just a quick fire warning - I am an ex insurance fire surveyor - make sure you dont accidentally turn on the heating elements with empty plastic containers.

So how long will it take before we are all invited for sampling? :)

plumbstar tom - i'm pretty experienced at brewing now so most of my recipes i compose myself. never brewed one i couldn't drink!

as for sampling........i mainly do that myself :p but if anyone lives near bolton give me a yell and it can be arranged.(stocks permitting)

its a very rewarding hobby and it works out about 20-30p a pint:D depending on the recipe.

KJ

just when the plumbing gets a tad boring you discover a new perspective for all those left over fittings!!!!! ..hic ...!:):) very interesting article:)regards turnpin

right, i'm off to do the bottling today, so hopefully there will be a few pics and a little sampling!

i may well look into the cost of mailing a bottle via royal mail to uk addresses and if its cheap enough i reckon i could start a 'name the ale competition' with the winner receiving a bottle of my finest! ............what do you reckon??

KJ

This is n't one of those sign up to a monthly sample campagn with a £100 pound sign up fee and then you dissappear is it lol :) :)

cant believe this thread is two years old already.

thought i would bump it for the benefit of members who have joined since then ....

happy brewing.

I remember reading this the first time round, still as interesting now as it was then. Surprised you have'nt gone commercial with it :)

Too many hoops to jump through. Its easier becoming gas safe :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

plumbstar tom - i'm pretty experienced at brewing now so most of my recipes i compose myself. never brewed one i couldn't drink!

as for sampling........i mainly do that myself :p but if anyone lives near bolton give me a yell and it can be arranged.(stocks permitting)

its a very rewarding hobby and it works out about 20-30p a pint:D depending on the recipe.

KJ

can you brew some hootch kj, if you can, bet you cant drink it :puke:

Off you ever start doing mail order ill have some. Payment would have to for plumbing equipment with a gift of the ale to avoid the beaks.

Here you go KJ, your very own plumber's mini bar...

Attachments

• KJ's mini bar jpeg.jpg
    KJ's mini bar jpeg.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 94
can you brew some hootch kj, if you can, bet you cant drink it :puke:

Oh there are plenty of dead simple tasty hooch brews. Basically you can ferment anything with sugars in em.

Passable ones are ribena wine, vimto wine and turbo cider. And my favourite del Monte champagne!

Buy a 5l bottle of water for a quid at asda and hey presto you have a gallon demi-john.

Discard some of the water and replace with a few large tins of fruit cocktail in syrup. (pour these into a sterile pan and whizz em with a stick blender till smooth) pour into demi-john add a couple of spoonful of wine yeast replace lid loosely leave somewhere warm till it stops bubbling :D

Oh there are plenty of dead simple tasty hooch brews. Basically you can ferment anything with sugars in em.

Passable ones are ribena wine, vimto wine and turbo cider. And my favourite del Monte champagne!

Buy a 5l bottle of water for a quid at asda and hey presto you have a gallon demi-john.

Discard some of the water and replace with a few large tins of fruit cocktail in syrup. (pour these into a sterile pan and whizz em with a stick blender till smooth) pour into demi-john add a couple of spoonful of wine yeast replace lid loosely leave somewhere warm till it stops bubbling :D

i think the boys in the big hoose make hooch differently :17: lol

i think the boys in the big hoose make hooch differently :17: lol

Aah the old spud peelings with sugar fermented with the sweaty sock of someone with a yeast infection....eeeew no ta!

I can work to order...but within reason.

P.s how are you coping in the big wide world since your release??:)

Aah the old spud peelings with sugar fermented with the sweaty sock of someone with a yeast infection....eeeew no ta!

I can work to order...but within reason.

P.s how are you coping in the big wide world since your release??:)

nae , i must have read about it somewhere, lol

been a few died drinking hooch though, can be deadly stuff so it can :dead:

And the award for the most boring post in UKPF history goes to............

Nice pics KJ.

Just a quick fire warning - I am an ex insurance fire surveyor - make sure you dont accidentally turn on the heating elements with empty plastic containers.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to KJ's BEER THREAD! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock