Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen Piping Tundish problem in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

For over a week the kitchen sink is leaking water from what I think is called tundish ( I thought is was called overflow but little google search maybe pointed me to the right name)
my guess is the pipe is slightly blocked because this only happens when there is a huge amount of water coming from above (for example when I fully fill the sink and then i take out the drain plug and all the water goes down in one go) Usually during normal operation is fine.
How can I solve this?
I was thinking in buying some Sink Drain Unblocker from the supermarket. to fully clean the drain, is this a good idea? as I said is not blocked maybe only 50%. I already check all the pipes from above they look Ok inside. so the only one that I wasn’t able to check was the ones from picture #2

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 16
Probably needs repiping tun dish is in wrong position, what is the tun dish for water heater or something else or overflow from toilet or similar

It’s from a pressure relief 1st picture middle top the mlcp pipe / fitting

Is it an island sink or boil tap ?

What I'm reading is not water entering the tundish from above (ie not a relief acting) - it's waste water from the sinks backing up and overflowing from the tundish as the drain capacity has become reduced due to a partial blockage.

Given there's a dishwasher or washing machine connected on the left, there could be a build up of sludge in the bottom near-horizontal run shown highlighted in the second picture.

There seems to be a rodding cap on the right hand end which could be removed and a snake poked down there!
If you've checked the other pipes (especially the "U bend" /trap) and they are clear, I think the pipe highlighted could be the culprit. Getting drain cleaner into it might be more difficult than physically clearing it!

@Basher I think you are right. the problem is the build of sludge in the near-horizontal pipe highlighted. what is the best way to clean this? maybe a Flexible Rod Auger?
Yes. There's not much room, but a springy thing poked down that pipe might help!
otherwise try drain unblocker, but you would need enough to over fill the "U bend" so that the chemical flowed into that horizontal run of pipe.

Reply to Kitchen Piping Tundish problem in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock