Search the forum,

Discuss jointing copper to black iron gas pipe (red) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone on here do much steel pipe for gas?
When joining copper to the steel do you use copper male/female irons or the brass or both?
Had to change some copper to steel outside and another plumber changed the brass clips to malleable iron clips his reason being corrosion. So I was thinking, I'm sure I've seen brass male/female irons fitted directly to the steel to change to copper for kitchen carcasing. Surely this is the same as brass clips for supporting steel.

Seen some posts on other forums (American) where they joint copper to black iron using a special fitting (electric union?) so the two dissimilar metals are separared by a washer. Is black Iron different in the states?

Any thoughts?

your fine aslong as not copper to galv as galv will win

So is the pipe you'd use for gas lcs. Gas pipe size method says barrel, is this the red lcs?

So is the pipe you'd use for gas lcs. Gas pipe size method says barrel, is this the red lcs?

yes and heavy gauge black or red oxide, but dont forget about the rule over 2" needs to be welded

copper is fine tho depends on situation

also normally if it goes to copper from steal you find the person cant thread / doesnt have a clue

And remember LCS delivers better consumption rate to copper, which is a good thing. And lots of PTFE.

So the brass clips would be fine with the steel.He also used copper irons instead of brass.

So the brass clips would be fine with the steel.He also used copper irons instead of brass.

Yes brass clips don't effect iron and copper iron would be fine

it is also very low pressure so there is minute energy within the pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to jointing copper to black iron gas pipe (red) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock