Search the forum,

Discuss Issue with leaking tap - any help appreciated! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kixx

About a month ago, we noticed water marks on our kitchen ceiling so got a plumber out to look at our bathroom to see if they could find the issue.

The guy could only find a small leak coming from within the toilet cistern so replaced the part and said that as far as he was concerned it should be fixed.

2 days later, more water leaked through overnight - a lot more. I also found a pool of water in the bathroom but under the sink not the toilet. Another call to the plumber, different guy came this time. He couldn't find any leak, was generally not interested and tried to blame it on a faulty seal in the shower.

So we sorted the shower seal, 2 days later, and yes, more water leaked overnight but this time we saw where it was coming from - it's where the cold water pipe connects to the tap.

Cue plumbers 3 and 4, neither of whom could find the cause -they found a small number of other leaks but not the one causing the problem. We explained that it was only happening at night and asked if it could be linked to increased water pressure. They dismissed this, suggested we change the tap but admitted that this might not fix the problem.

Finally, plumber no 5 - the guy who actually fitted the bathroom suite 2 years ago. He said he's investigate, pressure test the pipes etc, check under the floor and fix it - this was to be done while we were on holiday.

Returned from holiday and some parts had been replaced but guess what - 2 days later, the water was leaking overnight again - from the same place.

The guy came back today to replace the tap and the hot and cold water flexi hoses. When I turned on the tap tonight, a small amount of water is drip, drip, dripping from the exact same place and I fully expect it to leak again overnight!

I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any idea what on earth is causing this and how we fix it - I'm ready to tear my hair out!!

welcome to the forum.
has the standing pressure been tested?
if it is excessive and causing the problem, you could have a pressure reducing valve fitted.
or just get the leak properly fixed.

Thanks Simon.

The most recent plumber we used said he would pressure test all the components of the plumbing which resulted in some minor leaks being repaired. I'm not sure about the standing pressure but will make sure I ask when I speak to him on Monday!

I'd love to get the leak properly fixed and am ready to throw money at the person who can do this but no one seems to be able to identify the underlying cause let alone find the solution!

night time all in bed all taps off mains pressure can easily rise to 15 bar in some areas, things can leak then, stick on a prv and show your plumber where youve seen the leak that way it might get repaired.

night time all in bed all taps off mains pressure can easily rise to 15 bar in some areas, things can leak then, stick on a prv and show your plumber where youve seen the leak that way it might get repaired.

Thank you - I'll ask him about getting a prv fitted!

are you sure its not leaking thro basin hole down to tap connector under basin

Do you mean the basin plug hole? It could be. It's difficult to pinpoint the source as the water travels down one of the screws that connects the tap - if that makes sense - it won't let my post a picture for some reason but it does seem to originate from the base of the tap.

You're a genius! I just had a play about with it and the current drip seems to be caused by this - not sure if you are supposed to put some sort of seal around the tap to prevent this/eliminate any gaps.

I don't think that's the cause of the original issue as that was just spontaneous dripping (from the same area) in the middle of the night but hopefully, replacing every piece of equipment above the floor has fixed that and we now just have a different issue which sounds easy to fix!

I had exactly this on a cheap Mickey Mouse mono basin mixer, every morning they would ring to say there was a puddle under the basin but whenever I got there all connections under the basin were bone dry, second visit I replaced the flexi hoses to rule them out but still the same puddle in the morning.
Finally it was traced to high water pressure overnight that was pushing past the seal on the tap cartridge and running down the blasted pop up waste push rod.

Replaced cartridge, problem solved and lesson learnt.

You're a genius! I just had a play about with it and the current drip seems to be caused by this - not sure if you are supposed to put some sort of seal around the tap to prevent this/eliminate any gaps.

I don't think that's the cause of the original issue as that was just spontaneous dripping (from the same area) in the middle of the night but hopefully, replacing every piece of equipment above the floor has fixed that and we now just have a different issue which sounds easy to fix!

press thank you and tell the world please. simple look first is my advice at any leak!!

it could be a faulty tap which has a leak when it is used, could be coming from the valve and seeping down.

I had exactly this on a cheap Mickey Mouse mono basin mixer, every morning they would ring to say there was a puddle under the basin but whenever I got there all connections under the basin were bone dry, second visit I replaced the flexi hoses to rule them out but still the same puddle in the morning.
Finally it was traced to high water pressure overnight that was pushing past the seal on the tap cartridge and running down the blasted pop up waste push rod.

Replaced cartridge, problem solved and lesson learnt.

It's so frustrating isn't it!!! Hopefully, the new pipes and tap will have sorted it but I'm thinking a prv with gauge might be worth investing in!

I do find it confusing though why all the plumbers I spoke to, when I suggested the cause was an increase in mains pressure due to decreased use overnight, I was told that this was a load of rubbish!!!

they are all numpties imho. of course water pressure can go up at night, no one is drawing off when they are asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Issue with leaking tap - any help appreciated! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock