Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Isolator Valve for cold water supply - correct size in the Valves & Taps area at

  1. Jonny877

    Jonny877 New Member

    Hello, I was hoping someone here might be able to help. I need to replace an isolator valve on the inlet supply to a toilet. It's a 1/2" fitting - one end is connected to the water supply with a compression fitting, and the other end fits on to the thread of the toilet inlet valve. The problem is, I bought a replacement but it's too short (I assumed they would all be a standard size/length?), but comparing the two side by side I can see that the original valve has a longer 'collar' - not sure if that's what it's called, but I've attached photos of the original one in situ and the replacement. You can see the new one is a good 10mm shorter.

    Unfortunately there is no wiggle room on the cold water supply so I need to try and find one the same size if possible. Has anyone come across these different sizes before and know where I can get one? I think I bought the original from Plumb Center (it was about 15 years ago!) but can't find a similar size in B&Q, Homebase etc.

    Thanks in advance.

    Isolator Valve 1.JPG Isolator Valve 2.JPG
  2. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jonny877

    Jonny877 New Member

    Good idea, thanks Shaun, much appreciated.
  4. Gasmk1

    Gasmk1 GSR

  5. Jonny877

    Jonny877 New Member

    Thanks Gasmk1, that does look like the same one but they only seem to sell to trade.
  6. CBW1982

    CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

  7. Jonny877

    Jonny877 New Member

    Thanks CBW, that Screwfix one looks right. Already tried 3 local plumbers merchants, B and Q and Toolstation. I did search on the Screwfix site yesterday but for an isolation valve (which looked like the shorter one I already have). I didn't realise they have a different name, i.e. service valve, which most seem to have the longer collar. Well at least I'll know next time. Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated.
    • Like Like x 1
Similar Threads - Isolator Valve cold Forum Date
which fitting? radiator 15mm pipe to central heating valve Plumbing Forum Yesterday at 9:15 PM
Valve ID`s required please? Central Heating Forum Yesterday at 2:21 PM