Discuss Is my gas engineer a quack? Should I trust the new boiler installation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I am in the process of refurbishing a storey semi-detached house in London, UK. This is a complete refurb, including new pipes chased into walls, under the floors, installing a new boiler and new unvented cylinder.

When I started the work, my builder assured me that he has a gas engineer & a plumber and that I will get the certificate in the end. I asked for the gas engineer's registration, which I was given and I looked up his name (let's say "Steve") on the internet and found that he is registered so I thought all was well.

Half way through the project, I realised that the guy who was doing the piping was not Steve but instead a guy called John. Not a problem. No registration required for installing the pipes and radiators. He was going to install the unvented cylinder as well. I asked for his G3 certificate and he said he just passed the exam, so all is good so far (though I realised later that he installed the new gas pipe running from the meter to the boiler. Not sure whether he actually connected it to the boiler though)

The problem started when I saw John taking the boiler out of the packaging and putting it on the wall. I asked whether he was a Gas Safe registered engineer, and he said he was not but the work would be checked by Steve. But at this stage, nothing was connected to the boiler (no power, no pipes), so I didn't raise an issue.

The next day, Steve (the Gas Safe registered engineer) came around but what I saw was that he was just standing in the back and supervising not but actually doing any work. I had to leave the house so I didn't see anything that happened while the actual connection of the boiler was done.

When I came back, Steve gave me "Homeowner Gas Safety Record". I asked whether he would register the boiler installation with the Local Authority, he said it is not required so he usually does not do it and if he were to do it, it would cost me £200.

After he left, I realised he hadn't filled in the "boiler commissioning checklist" either.

So here are my questions.
1. How would a registered gas engineer not know about having to register a new boiler installation with LA?
2. Why did he give me a homeowner gas safety record? I thought this was only for checking an existing installation.
3. Is he required to complete the "boiler commissioning checklist"?
4. John (the plumber) installed the new gas pipe running from the gas meter to the boiler. (not sure who actually connected it to the meter and the boiler though) Is he allow to do this?
5. John admitted he connected hot water pipes to the boiler. As far as I know, this is not allowed and I told him. He said Steve was supervising behind him and he checked it afterwards. Is this ok?

Is my gas safety engineer a quack? If so, what should I do? Get another gas engineer? Or call local building control to come and check the boiler installation out?

Thanks.
[automerge]1571750583[/automerge]
Just noticed a small typo. I meant a "two storey semi-detached" in the first paragraph.

Last edited:
Rather than debate this on an open internet site, you should contact Gas Safe and pass all the details direct to them.

They will properly investigate it and also visit site to verify that the boiler has been installed correctly (or otherwise) to their regulations.

The Gas Safe service is free.

Your G3 unvented installation will also require registering with the Local Authority.

Be aware that Building Control are unlikely to sign off the rest of your redevelopment if the gas boiler and unvented have not been properly signed off and registered with the LA.

It’s under a tenner from gas safe so don’t know where the £200 comes from

Needs the benchmark filling in for warranty the only reason why I can think he’s given you a gas cert is he doesn’t want to put his name on the install

Yes see above

Grey area technically it’s just a pipe until it’s connected to the meter but unless the gsr has inspected it how does he know it’s installed correctly etc

He’s not allowed to hang the boiler and install the flue as this needs to be done correctly and right distances away from things

Any pics of the install?

If the bloke that ran the pipework, hung the boiler and connected it was being supervised by a GSE and the installation was checked and signed off by a GSE then it should be legal (It's how we build a portfolio for GSR qualifications).
Most manufacturers will register the boiler with Gas Safe and LA along with warranty if you're an accredited installer. This is usually free
GSE should have filled in the Benchmark to prove that the installation is correct.

Is this the same Builder, Steve and Jack /John that did the wiring?? :eek:
Same builder but not the guys who installed electrics. :)
[automerge]1571826476[/automerge]
If the bloke that ran the pipework, hung the boiler and connected it was being supervised by a GSE and the installation was checked and signed off by a GSE then it should be legal (It's how we build a portfolio for 'Registered Professional Gas Engineer' qualifications).
Most manufacturers will register the boiler with Gas Safe and LA along with warranty if you're an accredited installer. This is usually free
GSE should have filled in the Benchmark to prove that the installation is correct.
I know the gas engineer was there when the boiler was connected to the gas. Not sure when the gas pipe was laid or boiler was hung though. I guess at some stage an apprentice has to learn the trade by doing the work him/herself before being qualified. If the gas engineer was onsite when all the work was done, I'd have less issue (but still I am not satisfied with him giving me a homeowners certificate and telling me that you don't need to register installation with LA, as well as not completing the Benchmark)

Last edited:
Same builder but not the guys who installed electrics. :)
[automerge]1571826476[/automerge]

I know the gas engineer was there when the boiler was connected to the gas. Not sure when the gas pipe was laid or boiler was hung though. I guess at some stage an apprentice has to learn the trade by doing the work him/herself before being qualified. If the gas engineer was onsite when all the work was done, I'd have less issue (but still I am not satisfied with him giving me a homeowners certificate and telling me that you don't need to register installation with LA, as well as not completing the Benchmark)
The other issues which you mention are salient in my opinion often with PF our esteemed members reply with the knowledge they are certain of and esp. with gas and regs stick to
what they know. Wait awhile regarding LA & benchmarking ...most of these fellas are out doing it right now....onwards and upwards. centralheatking

Reply to Is my gas engineer a quack? Should I trust the new boiler installation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I recently had a renovation done. My builder installed a new Combi boiler instead of my system boiler. He connected the pipework to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating circuit and ran hot and cold to the bathroom and kitchen in my property (I was a CORGI registered...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
I have a friend who has offered to fit my new boiler to save on costs. He is competent but is retired and no longer gas safe registered. Is he...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock