Discuss Is lack of tanking plasterboard enough to force redo of job? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Just show em the pictures it won't take much convincing it's all wrong so need to come out

Someone in another forum said 'the situation can be rectified by cutting out the bottom run of tiles, take the tray out, replace the board, (tank?), refit the tray and seal, refit the tiles and seal again.'

But surely the problem there is that it's not about replacing the board, it's that currently no board exists behind the tray at all and it's only on top...

As KOP says, that is the ‘can you bodge this cheaply please’ solution.
Plasterboard itself is not a problem, as long as it’s tanked it is actually a pretty good substrate. Although the cement faced XP boards are currently thought to be the best solution.
In reference to an earlier answer, definitely not ply for tiling on - even if tanked - it is just not dimensionally stable in these conditions.

Just an update - just had my first of 3 quotes. He said exactly what you've all said of course - that the only proper course of action is a complete restart; anything else would be a bodge solution.

He made a lot of recommendations including that the tray is on a frame rather than on legs, or something like that.

Seemed a legit guy and has some good credentials (verified on trustatrader etc)

But will get the other two quotes too.

Frame vs legs is a tight call.

I prefer legs, having removed lots of trays that have failed due to rotten wooden frames collapsing.
I do use frames occasionally however, when I think it’s the best solution for whatever reason.
Obviously there shouldn’t be any water getting under the tray so the wooden frame should be fine, but in the real world I’ve seen it happen lots of times ; leaking washing machine in next room, pinhole in central heating pipe ( they just kept topping up system!?), hole in flexible pan connector under units etc etc.

These are all unlikely events and in a vigilant household would be spotted early and so not cause much trouble.

Don’t know why I’m waffling on, sorry!

You’ll be fine with a frame or proprietary leg set - as long as everything is well supported and in full contact with the floor , with no deflection - happy days 🙂

Hi there

If you board over the frame and slap a good coat of paint on it this really helps. I find the problem thesedays is that people often do not look at anything other than the cost. You explain that the price includes cement boards and correct fixing materials and they are getting a solid frame so the job will last and be trouble free but they reply so and so can almost cut your price by a third. This is the problem, to many so and so's doing substandard work at prices you cannot match.

If it was me then it's a rip out and start again. Patching 'may' resolve the issue, but I wouldn't stake my good reputation on a 'may'. I've done jobs where the tiling is by others and I've told the customer that if anybody asks I only did the plumbing. That's why I like to do the lot.

Thanks everyone. I'm just putting the finishing touches on a letter asking the fitter for a full refund within 14 days or I'll make a claim in the county court.

I've listed out the issues including some I've discovered since he refused to communicate with me any further and haven't pointed out in this thread yet.

The botch countdown is...

1. Enclosure overhanging tray despite already being at its minimum adjustment, due to tray being fitted too far back, behind the plasterboard. Thus the enclosure leaks from both corners despite the fitter coming back twice to add more silicone on the inside and outside (and I know you should only seal an enclosure on the outside)
2. Plasterboard resting on top of the tray, rather than going behind it and down to the bottom of the edge (and the tray is not the type with the lip), so there is no primary seal against leaks (i.e. sealant between the board and tray)
3. Plasterboard wasn't tanked in accordance with the latest BSI recommendations
4. One of the legs is mounted on a piece of plasterboard (!), I assume as a corner cutting measure - you guys will know better than I do but I can't imagine that being safe...?
5. Shower tray is fitted too low for the waste pipe, so a leak/blockage risk
6. Shower tray has several scratches and chips
7. No tile trim and the adhesive behind the tiles can be seen which is obviously unslightly
8. Tiles are uneven in parts and not central to the enclosure
9. There are holes in the silicone between the tiles and tray - possibly suggesting that the tray is unstable and pulling the silicone? I don't know if that could be related to point 4. In any event if this happens and water gets through, as above the plasterboard isn't tanked and there's no primary seal between the tray and boards either...

Happy to hear any comments if you think any of that isn't worth mentioning - but it's a lot of errors! And as SimonG said the other day, that's only stuff I can see...

A lot more stuff makes sense now too, like him texting me partway through the job asking me to leave him a review but adding that I could wait until he finished if I wanted - I bet he knew at that point it had all gone wrong. Luckily I said I'd leave one after the works were done (and I still haven't done so) but I definitely should have seen a red flag there. I can be so naive...

Put it down to experience mate you have been treated badly but this cannot be resolved by the current contractor, the list above is more than enough to pursue a full refund + damages, just beware of getting stung again and keep a close eye on the new installer I would go as far as a full breakdown of what they intend to do what materials will be used in the shower area . But of luck kop

Luckily I said I'd leave one after the works were done (and I still haven't done so) but I definitely should have seen a red flag there. I can be so naive...
Under no circumstance leave him a review positive or negative if you intend to take him to Court. Judges don't like cases that have already been argued in public. You're at risk of taking this all too personally. Get the work redone by someone competent. Claim the costs from the original contractor, which may be more than he actually charged you but he can still be liable in some circumstances. Enjoy a nice shower in your new bathroom and move on.

Under no circumstance leave him a review positive or negative if you intend to take him to Court. Judges don't like cases that have already been argued in public. You're at risk of taking this all too personally. Get the work redone by someone competent. Claim the costs from the original contractor, which may be more than he actually charged you but he can still be liable in some circumstances. Enjoy a nice shower in your new bathroom and move on.

Oh no I'm not intending to leave a review before going to court (if it came to that), until this is all finalised any review wouldn't tell the full story anyway.

Can you not contact the original installers insurance company.
It may be an easier task than going to court.

They may just pay you a sum that they deem will be sufficient to cover the costs of the defective works.

No matter which way you go, you will never recover the full costs, it may be worth trying to get as much as you can and put the losses down to experience

Can you not contact the original installers insurance company.
It may be an easier task than going to court.

They may just pay you a sum that they deem will be sufficient to cover the costs of the defective works.

No matter which way you go, you will never recover the full costs, it may be worth trying to get as much as you can and put the losses down to experience

Well, I've sent him a letter before claim today asking for a refund within 14 days. Hopefully I won't have to make a claim but we'll see. I did also say I was willing to consider mediation/ADR

He's a sole trader so is personally liable so we'll see what he comes back with.

Well, I've sent him a letter before claim today asking for a refund within 14 days. Hopefully I won't have to make a claim but we'll see. I did also say I was willing to consider mediation/ADR

He's a sole trader so is personally liable so we'll see what he comes back with.

But if he has no assets of value then you are limited with how much you will be able to recoup.

Reply to Is lack of tanking plasterboard enough to force redo of job? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back