Discuss Is he right or am I rubbish? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_

Spoken to a guy today, he said his quotes r normally more expensive than others because he's better than the others. He say to customers that his work will be better than others so he's more expensive. He said, most of the time he gets the work. Is he better, or we're rubbish, or it's all about mind game? :) is this guy full of poos or he just know how to play the game. 'Admirable'' if this is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the person you were talking to is full of crap! People buy it alas!! The gift of the gab is certainly part of the repertoire when you have to sell yourself to the public. People buy people john_!

Speed/quality/price

You can do two but not three of these.

So you could easily be quicker and less expensive instead - and I'm not suggesting you're no good!!!

Don't believe all you hear though! The older you become the more you learn that, actually, you're pretty good compared to what others have been suggesting most of your life!!

Divide what you hear by 33% and you will be near the truth.

Some people are full of bull.

I'm not cheap, I'm not expensive, but i am good.

hes full of it.
i used to work with a guy just like him, but you know what he was a good sales man and i could learn a lot from his arrogant sales technique.
you see, he makes a lot of money and has a big rolling job lead and isnt too bothered if he dont get the jobs. the strange thing was he knew which people that were a waste of space.
get as good and charge less then he will be in trouble.lol.

A lad I know, decorator, has had hassle with his boiler. BG contract, engineer comes out and repairs, offers, off the books 250 for a magnacleans install. Asks me if it's fair!

I'd like 250 for a magna install, told him to tell BG to Foxtrot Oscar.

What he says is rubbish, he has this notion of being 'the best' because he is more expensive.

However, if a job is worth £1k and you price it at £1.5k and you need to earn £3k per month, I'd only have to do 2 jobs to your 3! some people think that an extra £500 is not a lot of money and you get what you pay for! So, someone who is more expensive gives the impression that he's better.

Also, I would be in a position to start within a few days not possibly a couple of weeks, therefore that in itself is worth (to some people) an extra £500.

I have a very good friend who is at the opposite end of this scale, he's very cheap, (IMO). He is always busy, working, working, working but never has any money! His argument is he nearly always gets the job! Downside is he always working for peanuts, trouble is he's far from being a monkey....

(eg. 2 x plumbers installing a rad and service a boiler labour £60, I nearly fell out of the van at this! I had to explain that the only reason the job was done so fast was that there were 2 of us, I also had to explain that after fuel, my money the job would owe him!)

Deep down I do admire his approach, possibly envy him too for being so confident when approaching customer ... "I can garantee you that you will find quotes cheaper than mine but I can garantee you that my work will be worth what you are paying" .. and it works for him. :)

Bull**** baffles brains. Works in the same way when you charge more for your services. People think you are better. You should all try charging an extra £5 an hour and see what happens.

Spoken to a guy today, he said his quotes r normally more expensive than others because he's better than the others. He say to customers that his work will be better than others so he's more expensive. He said, most of the time he gets the work. Is he better, or we're rubbish, or it's all about mind game? :) is this guy full of poos or he just know how to play the game. 'Admirable'' if this is the case.

[FONT=&amp]
What he says will make a lot of sense to some people, but that doesn't make you rubbish.

Taking the cheapest quote can be a false economy, and if peeps don't have any knowledge to make an informed judgement with, they may just think taking the middle quote makes sense, or maybe even taking the most expensive.

I would have thought the best line to use is to refer to BG's prices, and say that you are able to undercut them by a good margin, while still doing as good a job, (hopefully better even) because you don't have their overheads, such as the million pound advertising campaign, etc.

I don't think it's ever wise to try and sell yourself as the cheapest.

There is an advert on TV for a vehicle recovery firm, and their catch phrases is: "We may not be the biggest, but we aim to be the best!" ... that's a good way to sell yourself imo.

Don't know if you saw the documentary on Pimlico plumbers? Admittedly, he's working in some of the most affluent neighbourhoods in the country, but fair do's, he knows how to sell his business to his customers.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is he right or am I rubbish? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock