Discuss "IS DIY GAS LEGAL? " Well I don't like this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFGplumbing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer

"Diy gas work is not illegal, BUT, the law does require that
only competent people may work on gas appliances"

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Well I thought competence was defined as "being a member of a class of persons approved by the health and safety executive."(or some such legal garble) Perhaps I have taken that out of context?
[/FONT]
In any case I don't think "Terry the DIY tosser" should have any reason to think he may be competent, just because he pops down b&q and buys a U-gauge & has a light browse of the gas regs.

Even after the best part of 10 years in the plumbing & heating industry and nearly 2 years as a Gas safe member, I by no means know everything, in fact I learn something new on literally every job.

In short this stuff ****es me off. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I didn't spend years struggling on ****ty wages to gain Nvq's and gas experience to be told any old "Joe bloggs" can do my job if he deems himself competent. pffffffffffffft!

DIY GAS - DIYnot.com - DIY and Home Improvement

Its beyond me that the powers that be cant just broadcast the fact that if you are not GSR it is illegal to work on a gas appliance. Its not bloody rocket science, so why is it so hard to understand.

I was told that a DIY,er can do his own gas. But is answerable to the same rules as us. If they cock it up or it harms some one there liable for prosecution.

to prove yourself competent you have to pass your ACS, to charge someone to work on gas you have to be gas safe registered

I know where this thread is going "merchants should only sell to gsr engineers etc" but they have that on certain Air Conditioning products, and it doesnt work, no merchant wants to refuse a customer and there is nobody checking that they check for ID so they just print a disclaimer on there invoice and sell to anyone

You can't stop anyone doing something in there own home as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. As Leo said when it goes **** up he will be crucified!

You can't stop anyone doing something in there own home as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. As Leo said when it goes **** up he will be crucified!

Exactly, I know I get accused quite often of being heavy handed with the closing of gas related posts by DIY numpties but I won't have this forum, or any of its members, being held accountable because some numpty has gotten enough information to kill himself from here.

They'll no doubt find out from some other mug but as long as our consciences are clear!

you can't stop anyone doing something in there own home as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. As leo said when it goes **** up he will be crucified!

doesnt matter if your gsr or not if it all goes wrong youll be crucified only diffence is you start of 130 quid lighter

doesnt matter if your gsr or not if it all goes wrong youll be crucified only diffence is you start of 130 quid lighter
Too true.
Not enough incentive to be GSR.
Just penalties IF things go wrong - penalties that are the same for everyone.

On 8th May HSE are publishing a consultation document to change the ACOPS.

We all need to watch out and respond to it - i will post link as soon as I see it. From what I understand they are thinking of 2 big changes:
1. take out everything about landlords
2. clarify about competency.

I think the current ACOP means that that yes if you are working you must be GSR and if you are doing DIY work you must have the same relevent training/experience/ knowledge/ competence.

I have read the ACOP over and over very slowly - how many DIYers not employed in this industry even know ACOP exists!
What I think this means is when my hubby retures and does not renew his GSR he will still be competaent to work on gas in his own home -
of course - he doesn't forget it all over night.
But intime he will be out of date...

But also in practice there is nothing to say he should stop until the house explodes.! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of links related to this, the first is a facebook page, Gas Engineers Forum, the second is a petition following a disappointing meeting with GSR in Manchester.
https://www.************/groups/gasengineers/?hc_location=stream
Reform Gas Safety in UK Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to "IS DIY GAS LEGAL? " Well I don't like this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock