Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Internal Leak, will the boiler still draw cold water when turned off? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Matt Carney

Matt Carney New Member

In April 2018 I had a water meter installed at my tenancy property (Not a property magnate, just had to move out of the area and couldn't sell it) the same time I had a new Greenstar 30i boiler, stop cock and old back boiler and immersion tank removed.

There is a small pass noticeable through the water meter, approx. 3 litres per hour. The leak dial turns slightly, then stops, and does this repetitively, in this fashion. I've done this even isolating all appliances including toilet, sink, washing machine etc.

The pipe from the meter to the stop cock is fine. No movement on the meter at all.

Before I get a plumber in to pull the ground floor floors up, is there any way my new boiler could be drawing cold water from the system after its been switched off? This is the only thing I haven't isolated. I don't want to mess about with the boiler incase I gas the tenant!

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes, but this could be a boiler leak in a few different ways. I’m not going to be giving pointers so best getting your gas safe registered engineer in to look at the boiler 1st.

3. Matt Carney

Matt Carney New Member

There are no noticeable leaks beneath the boiler, and the pipes all dry. Are you pointing to internal within the boiler?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Can you have a word with your brother and tell him to stop with all the Brexit doom and gloom. Cheers.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Toilet overflowing?

6. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

The 'pulsing' nature of it suggests something passing after the pressure builds. So in my opinion it's more likely to be plastic if you have any. Any underfloor - possibly mice?