Discuss Intermittent Sewage smell in and outside house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Laura-Jane Fox

Hi all. I have been having intermittent sewage small for about 10 months now. It smells inside out kitchen and dining room(open plan) and outside down our drive and in back garden. I have had dyno rod out several times who have done 4 CCTVs, flushed the drains and general checks. To no avail. We have had a plumber inside to check traps and he replaced a few. Dyno rod did put some expanding tubes inside the pipes at the top of the drive (no where near the smell) when the 1st man came he said it looked like all the pipes had displaced but then they only fixed the end of the drive. We do not have a manhole according to dyno rod(it's not visible) as they have looked when doing the CCTV saying it runs straight to the mains. Severn Trent have check all the mains and these are ok... Please help as its driving me mad :(

Yes but before we moved in and before the smells. I thought I might also mention that the majority that we can see have manhole covers up out street. We just don't seem to have 1

From dyno rod looking through CCTV, they said they didn't think we had a manhole as it just runs straight to mains?

They also ruled out any blockages as it all runs to the mains smoothly

O. Any ideas how I would find this out? Also if there is no blockage surely even if I have a manhole, that wouldn't b a problem

And mine.

I would bet your extension sits on it. Lazy builder syndrome.

Where are your neighbours manhole's?

Do the drains all run to the front of the house to the road or does yours connect with a neighbour? As in shared drain? Might be worth a call to your local water management company to see if there's any history of problems in the area.

Also, not questioning the plumbers credibility or integrity but perhaps another visit from another plumber to double check all traps in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

We were told by dyno rod it looked like they all run to the front n that they don't join with anyone else's. yes I was thinking about another plumber

A decent plumber is your answer. There are not that common unfortunately.

Sorry I can't help but curious as to how much you've already spent with dyno rod & other plumber. Did it really need 4 CCTV inspections? I'd have thought they'd suss it on first attempt.

Who are you insured with? I didn't think any/many insurance companies would pick up the bill for that.

simple check, bung in at driveway end, fill drain to road with fresh water till its full and check its water tight, may or may not be, may see water escaping if your lucky. if its water tight, may be a buried manhole cover, compare with neighbours, or could still be faulty traps., worse case neighbours drains through yor property? leaking but least likely

Not our neighbours drains as they are all ok. Not 100% about the manhole but if there isn't a blockage as its draining to the mains fine as far as I know then it shouldn't matter if I can't see the manhole (obviously I would like to no if I have 1.) Severn Trent couldn't help with regards to the manhole

Ok thanku am going to get dyno rod to get one of their plumbers to come and look then I haven't got to pay

Ok thanku am going to get dyno rod to get one of their plumbers to come and look then I haven't got to pay

I'd be asking for a freebie since they've been out four times and come up with nothing. It's all being added to your claim, which is probably about a grand already by now at their rates.

I'm only paying my excess though and was told it wouldn't really affect my premiums

To be honest I'm not bothered. I just want the smell to go away :(

Update:
dyno rod done a smoke test today. Everything ok. Checked inside again. Pipe behind dishwasher was leaking a little and not on the wall properly (now sorted). He said that wouldn't be a problem.
PIG would say the smell happens in the drains and then comes out and inside thrrough the gaps.
They said they have no other iideas
does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks

Update: dyno rod have detected that 2 soak always are connected to the main drains without traps. Well I detected the second. Not 100% the rest aren't but they quoted me £480 to do the 1 they said and house insurance won't cover it! Even though I didn't fit them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Intermittent Sewage smell in and outside house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock