Search the forum,

Discuss Interested in becoming a Plumber?? Advice Please!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jetstar

Hi,

I have an interest in becoming a Plumber and looking to be self employed? 45 years old. Looked at courses available and seem to be continuously banging my head against a brick wall!!

Local colleges appear to only offer full time term 9 month courses which isn't really any good at my age and to continue earning a living in the process?

My question is - their are private training centres offering 6 week intensive courses with a possible training centre of interest in Wales?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated??

Many thanks

jetstar.

they will cost you a fortune, and deliver little.
you would be better served getting a couple of books and studying yourself.

you will need to be a very fit 45 year old! it is a tough job and the only way to make any money is to be very quick at what you do.

the startup cost is phenomenal as you will need far more tools than any other trade.

exams every 5 years.

need a very big lump sum behind you as well, it takes years to build a business to the point where it covers your expenses, even longer til it turns enough profit to pay you a wage.

p.s your only realistic chance of making it is as self employed.
you will never find a job as you will be too slow and inexperienced. teenage entrants command less wages.

it can be done however! there are many on this forum who have retrained. and built a business successfully. they will all to a man tell you though that it is a bloody hard and long road to travel.

tiling would be a better option realistically. -less gear needed, cheaper training, non regulated industry, less responsibility, similar money!

If you take a wander through these forums you'll find no end of threads from people in the same boat you're proposing to sail off in.

Take the time to read through them.

The 6 week courses only benefit one person. I'm afraid it won't be you, my friend.

if committed, you should look harder for colleges that do evenings 2 or 3 days a week. allowing you to hold down a day job as you progress.
best scenario is land a job that does 7 days on and 7 days off as it gives you a wage while studying plumbing and frees you up every other week to build up a small plumbing business.
any calls when your in your job simply say sorry booked up this week but i can fit you in on.....next week.

until such time as the plumbing earnings are regularly in excess of your wage (dont hold your breath tho)

Best of luck buddy, but avoid the 6 week 6 K courses that give you very little practical experience :)

Become a lorry driver mate. No tools little by comparison in startup costs and currently decent money available. Sainsburus and asda you'll earn 40-42 a year and fuel delivery drivers on a contract will earn 58k.

plumbers however average salary on the cards is 25k self employed the sky's the limit but realistically after 6 years you'll be hitting around the 40-50k mark if you're very very good and both plumbing and business. That's before you take off running costs like tools vehicles and 5 yearly renewals on any advance qualifications.

The internet is putting this industry to bed mate. If you want to do it yourself you can look at a YouTube video, if you'd like to get someone in to do it then people start a price war to get it at rock bottom prices and believe me people out there are doing the jobs for peanuts and in many cases people are doing the jobs cheaper then you and I could buy the materials for.

Whilst this his all sounds very negative it's a job many of us enjoy. I'll be here till I retire in 40 odd years time providing the reaper doesn't dial my number first. But there's no point coming on without a wide eyed view on what the industry is really like to work in

Haha the difference in replies for a bloke asking a question compared to a lady thread!...

woman: can I do so and so? Us: you can do anything you want swoon swoon swoon...

bloke: can I do so and so? Us: na, pick something else.

Haha the difference in replies for a bloke asking a question compared to a lady thread!...

woman: can I do so and so? Us: you can do anything you want swoon swoon swoon...

bloke: can I do so and so? Us: na, pick something else.

You little cynic you....

Anythings possible i guess, but there's no point glossing things over :p

What background do you come from, anything technical or working with tools?
Have you ever run a business, either Self employed or Management?

What's the driving force making you want to choose Plumbing over any other Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Interested in becoming a Plumber?? Advice Please!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock