Search the forum,

Discuss Instant hot water tap in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

One of my daughters has been persuaded that she needs one of these instant hot water taps when she gets her kitchen done out. Oh dad is not too bad at £900. I replied by saying you can get a damned good kettle for £900.
As she is on her own and out most of the day I do not see the point in having one of these. Anyway let us surmise she goes for one are there any ones you would recommend, or not recommend.
Thanks

Oh..what a coincidence.
I have 3 sitting in the back of the van, that I pulled out today.
She can have all 3 if she pays for postage.

History: Barely used due to malfunctions / breakdowns.
2 were working fine that I removed
Owner of office building where he rents out rooms to businesses for meetings.
Limited hot water, so if you have more than 4 people who want a hot drink at one time - you're in trouble.
6 offices over 3 floors, 1 kitchen per floor.
He bought 6 kettles - 2 for each kitchen to replace the units removed.

He also told me what the hot water taps cost initially and what he has spent on repairs.

Astounding amounts of money when compared to the cost of a kettle

I rest my case m'lud but will she listen. I will put it to her but like a lot of youngsters everything has to be new. All I could do to get her to accept a towel radiator that was hard to distinguish from new.
Can I be nosey and ask the makes of the taps? I am not sure how many are fitted into domestic premises versus commercial, maybe the lastest fad.

I have never been involved in a long lived successful installation.

They are rubbish.

I’d be interested to know in any of the high-ups in the companies that make them have them fitted in their own kitchens . I suspect not, or not for long anyway.

I now refuse to fit them, always push my customers away from them; new customers that have already bought it- I walk away.

Never fitted one but I have encountered a few. I can't see the point myself.

If she is youthful enough, can you not convert her to a kettle using some modern psychology like the Carbon footprint argument? Surely it is better for the environment and her pocket to boil a cup full of water for a brew?

I have never been involved in a long lived successful installation.

They are rubbish.

I’d be interested to know in any of the high-ups in the companies that make them have them fitted in their own kitchens . I suspect not, or not for long anyway.

I now refuse to fit them, always push my customers away from them; new customers that have already bought it- I walk away.
They are rubbish can you elaborate?

I am assuming it is still a requirement for unvented DHW cylinders to be regularly inspected. Would it not be the same for one of these? I see on Quooker videos they make a point of it being pressurised and holding the water at 110 deg C

I do a lot of work for a kitchen/building company and they push the Quooker taps, that retail around £1k! They look reasonable quality but obviously we only fit them, we don't maintain them. As you say they are under pressure and heated so require a PRV and associated waste pipework which comes with the setup and is easy enough to fit.
I have also fitted the Bristan one which appears to be an open vented type container and vents through the tap, essentially when you want boiling water the tap pushes cold down into the unit and the boiling water comes up. If I had one at my house I would prefer this setup as if it fails you only get a leak of whatever volume the unit is, say 3 ltrs. Whereas the Quooker is a mains fed unit before the tap, hope that makes sense.
My big concern with all of them is there's a lot of flexible braided pipework which after a period of time can cause issues.

just done a complete brand new kitchen in our new home , no HW tap , good old fashioned kettle .
i have fitted several Qookers and they are ok and spares back up is pretty good.

I think that having steam/boiling water from a tap is too dangerous. I know we are all grown up and careful but it will take the skin off if you make a mistake and we can all make those.

Reply to Instant hot water tap in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock