Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Inline pipe valve/taps dripping after turning off and back on in the Valves & Taps area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Gary555

Gary555 New Member

I’ve recently moved into an old house and I’ve just replaced the immersion heater in a copper cylinder.
    The problem is that, to stop the tank from refilling I turned off two pipe valves (not knowing which did what) and now I’ve truned them back on they’re both dripping. How do I stop the dripping? Do I replace the valve or can I tighten the slim nut beneath the tap heads?

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You can tighten the gland nut "slim nut)

• Like Like x 1
  3. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

As above, some valves have a gland nut that can be tightened or repacked, other than that replace the valves - full bore lever valves cost more but are more reliable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gary555

Gary555 New Member

Ok, how do you repack if I was to have a go?

If I was to replace them which seems the best solution, I’m just not sure which pipes are for what, so I guess I’d have to drain the system and hope for the best when I undo the compression fitting ha ha

5. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Loads of info online about repacking gland nuts, quicker than one of us typing it out for you :D
    LMGTFY

6. Gary555

Gary555 New Member

Aah right repacking sounds simpler than I thought, I’ll get myself some ptfe tape and give it a go. Thank you.

7. Gary555

Gary555 New Member

Success - valves repacked and not dripping and new immersion up and running.

Admin can close this thread now if they like. :)

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Thanks for reporting back.